How do I figure out how much I'm burning?

Options
I'm a bit frustrated because I'm not able to figure out how many calories I'm burning. I'm 4'9" tall so going to 3.5 on the treadmill is running for me...not walking. I do the mile in 17 minutes. At the end of my cardio it said I only burned 117 calories for running 25 minutes & walking at a lower speed for 5.

This 117 calories confuses me because I ran for 18 minutes last week & walked for another 15 & it said I burned over 400 calories. I want to know what I'm really burning so I'm doing the appropriate amount of calorie intake.

Can anyone explain to me or point me in the right direction so I can figure this out? Right now I'm really frustrated & confused & don't want to be. It's not deterring me from continuing, just making it harder to know where I'm really at.

Thanks!

Replies

• MrsBehaving
    MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am vertically challenged as well and I finally purchased a heart rate monitor. That is the most accurate way to tell how many calories you are burning for anyone. Short or tall. I am so glad that I made the investment!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you to get a heart rate monitor! I have a cheap one that does not give me calorie burn info but I input how long I workout and average heart rate into this website:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn

However I just ordered a body media!!! So that will tell me EVERYTHING I need to know
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM! I have the Polar FT7, it was $90 and tells you calories burned and a pretty accurate reading of your heart rate and target zones!