New and already my willpower is fading

Options
So today is the first day of the rest of my life, yadda yadda yadda, right? Had a up and down weekend, and with the news that my mother, only 35 years older than me, has managed to fit into her skinny jeans after using myfitnesspal, I resolved to take it up again, after a weeklong failure on the site.

So I walk into my office today only to find a table full of amazing brownies and cookies from a bakery next store. Pretty sure one of my thin coworkers doesn't want that unhealthy stuff in her house, thus the foisting off on the office. But I don't want to be my office's garbage can anymore! Yet the treats look so delicious. So I'm sitting here on a slow day and decided to post instead, hoping to get my mind off my weak willpower.

How are all of you? Feel free to add me as a friend. Looking to lose about 15-20 pounds and get healthy. Desk job hasn't been so good for that. Any tips? Tricks? Ways to beat the sugar cravings?

Replies

• Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello usually fixes my sweet tooth. Only 10 calories a serving. :wink:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Good job coming here. I have had the same issue with office stuff. It's so hard because you say oh it only "this"( fill in the blank) or "this is going on' The thing is we forget those little things and at the end of the week IF we look back three things happen and we forgotten all of them.

Between thin co workers bringing in left over treats and a different person wanting to eat out at a dif rest every other day it all adds up.

Bring in your own little cheat snacks, and hide them in your drawer. Then when you are tempted to splurge you will be prepared. Put the date on the box when you open it so you don't splurge everyday.

I did add you as a friend.
    Best of luck, you can do it. be strong today.
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    if you think you have the will power ... you can indulge in one ... *I* myself can never eat just one! It's easy for me because I'm usually home, and when I work it's at a preschool. Bring some snacks (healthy) from home ... that way if you get hungry you can snack on those .... OR even if you aren't hungry just want to munch ... the carrots or celery or whatever is a much better choice than the super unhealthy junk food the skinny women like to bring in!
  • midgetrapper
    midgetrapper Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    crystal lite mixes with a bottle of water is good. usually about 5 calories. yogurt or a granola bar works also. they're about 80 to 100 calories...
  • ImaHomer
    Options
    I have the same problem, an office always looking for an excuse to bring in donuts and snacks. My fight was to take my calories and break it into 7 meals, so by eating every 2 hours, the snacks dont have their hold on me.
  • leahgetsskinny
    Options
    I too have a serious sweet tooth, I like skinny cow ice cream bars, those are delicious right after dinner when I want something sweet. I am a full time student, so I have the same issues as you, being surrounded by unhealthy food and just thinking about it all day. But after a week of temptation, I found that my cravings for sweets have lessened significantly. If you can just resist, after a while, you won't crave them as much.
    Good luck, you can do it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You need to be committed to suceed. If you want this bad enough, yes, you will succeed. Stay away from the junk in the office for a while adn eventually it won't phase you. Have plenty of other options readily available.
  • amaliasmom
    amaliasmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like the Fiber One bars that are 90 calories. It feels almost like eating candy,but it fills you up for a while.
  • SHANNONMARTENS
    Options
    I so understand your pain (lol) I have joined a weight loss contest and the prize is $5000.00, you would think that would be enough motivation, I was good for a week and a half and now struggling. Time to pick up my socks and give it another go.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If I could just eat one, it wouldn't be so rough. But it turns into 2 or 3 or 5 quickly, then I swear this is it for the week...until the next round of treats come in! It's easier just to avoid all together. I'll definitely have to plan this out and bring in some jello and granola bars for myself so I don't feel totally deprived and give up. Crystal lite is a good idea, I LOVE water and drink it all day, so it would be easy to add in and get a sweet fix at the same time.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    Oh that's such a toughie - I hate it when co-workers bring in sweets, it just makes you so tempted! Luckily these days I don't have to deal with it much as I'm only in the office once every fortnight but I used to have to deal with it all the time. First of all, I started brining in my own healthier snacks (usually home-made so people didn't realise they were 'diet') which had the added bonus of giving you some satisfaction that you're helping your colleagues in some small way too :wink:

I'm not sure how I managed to resist the delicious cakes but I did most of the time - you've just got to think whether it's worth it I think. Maybe try adding the cakes (or similar ones if they're from a small bakery) to your diary on MFP and see how many calories each one really contains. Then that might give you enough strength to resist as quite often they are really bad!

Finally, I'm sure like many others, I gave in every once in a while and the important thing is NOT to beat yourself up over it. Sometimes your willpower just isn't strong enough and you'll just have to accept that and carry on - maybe do some extra exercise to make up for the calories, or just accept that you're going to be over for the day and treat it as a temporary glitch.

Anyway, sorry about the long post and lots of luck on your new journey! I've added you as a friend so hopefully we can help each other :smile:
  • sm26davis
    Options
    im a stay at home mom to a four month old who I think is sabotaging my workouts!!! I have been having the worst craving for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ( made with artifical sweetener and light butter) yummy they are so good. I am trying so hard not to make them. I can't just eat one or two, I eat five or so and then the batter too. Im looking to loose 40 lbs by the end of may and it seems every time I go to workout( I do workouts at home) my baby will start to fuss even though she has no real reason to!!! I have been workoing so hard and I haven't lost but 5 lbs since my baby was 7 weeks old, I have lost inches but I get so frustrated cuz the scale doesn't move!!! I hear about this girl I used to work with that had her baby a week after I had mine, she weighs lees then what she did before she got preggo!!!! UGGGG!!!
  • cocoagyrl77
    Options
    Hang in there. I know how you feel. My supervisor brings in Krispy Kreme donuts every Friday. And there is always some sort of sweet treat floating around here. I like to eat yogurt. There are come really good flavors now, my new favorite is black forest cake. It think yoplait makes them. YUMMY! I have also found these 100 cal treats called Cheating with Chocolate and Quaker Mini Delights are 90 calories. I think the key to everything is moderation. Like today, I fell off the wagon a little and had some birthday cake. I am going straight to the gym after work and I am going to increase my cardio to try and make up.
  • dave_cosy
    Options
    This is the first day for me as well. I'm usually the one who follow the diet for about 3 days and then back to my old way. I've decided this time to keep with it. Our office is the same, cookies, donuts, bread etc ... One this that helps me is making sure that I eat breakfast. I drank a protein shake this morning after 1 mile of running and 3 miles of biking at the gym. I was not hungry until 11:00am when my body was freaking out for some food. I ate a chicken salad that I made at the house and I feel ok now. Make sure you eat breakfast. Another thing that works for me is eating slower. Couple bites and drink some water. If not I'll ravage whatever is in site ... cookies, cakes, bread etc ... Stay with it. I'll check up on you tomorrow.
  • AliceMpls
    Options
    I commit myself to chewing a peice of gum for half an hour before I make a decision about the treat. After 30 minutes the craving is usually gone or at least weak enough for me to have some perspective and I usually just end up keeping on chewing the gum:)
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wow it's amazing how many offices are full of this stuff, with so many people out there trying to lose weight/ eat healthier. I'll try ignoring everything for a week and hoping it gets easier...I usually give up after 3 days too, right when I'm first beginning to feel better. It's perverse! We have a weekly meeting where everyone pigs out, maybe I'll have one thing then, and not allow myself anything else from the office over the week. Moderation, right?

sm26davis- If you're losing inches, that's great. Means your adding muscle and subtracting fat...as obsessed as we are with numbers, its really much less important than losing fat and adding muscle.
  • cgalvan33
    Options
    Hey my wife and I are both on here and it has not even been a week yet. For sweet tooth attacks the have protein shakes that are called Dessert by BSN. The cool thing is that it feels that your being bad but you are still on the right path. Really wish they made a BEER flavored protein shake. Dont give up... I think the even have bars also. Just keep your eye on the big picture. AND ITS NOT A DIET..... ITS A HEALTHY CHANGE.....:wink:
  • garden_girl18
    garden_girl18 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, you'll be kicking yourself later on if you do! I work in an office setting as well, and have had a bit of a hard time adjusting to sitting all day. I used to work as a bartender/waitress, and was used to being on my feet all day. When that job ended, it was tough. So, because I now sit all day, I've noticed that I put on a few pounds. Then I quit smoking and really piled on some weight!

My advice is to stick with it! Having sweet tooth can be managed in a healthy, low fat way. If you want something sweet, eat a piece of fruit. The Crystal Lite packages are also a good idea, as you can increase your water consumption at the same time. I have also found that unsweetened apple sauce is a great sweet snack as well. As for the gym, don't be discouraged! try to find something you enjoy doing. I've recently started taking Zumba classes and absolutely LOVE it! You don't really feel like you've been sweating your *kitten* off for an hour, and you burn a lot of calories. You'll do great, just keep your eye on the prize! :happy: