OATS V. WHEAT

Options
Are oats different from wheat?

I'm asking because I'm starting the blood type diet and I am supposed to avoid wheat. I just wanted to figure out if I need to avoid eating oatmeal or if it's still okay for me.

Below is a breif overview of what things i'll be avoiding and why. (i'm happy to hear of suggestions for healthy replacement options and meal ideas!)

Type B Diet

For Type Bs the biggest factors in weight gain are:
corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds.
Each of these foods affect the efficiency of your metabolic process, resulting in fatigue, fluid retention, and hypoglycemia - a severe drop in blood sugar after eating a meal. When you eliminate these foods and begin eating a diet that is right for your type, you blood sugar levels should remain normal after meals.
Another very common food that Type Bs should avoid is chicken. Chicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue. Although chicken is a lean meat, the issue is the power of an agglutinating lectin attacking your bloodstream and the potential for it to lead to strokes and immune disorders.

Dr. D'Adamo suggests that you wean yourself away from chicken and replace them with highly beneficial foods such as goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison. Other foods that encourage weight loss are: green vegetables, eggs, beneficial meats, and low fat dairy. When the toxic foods are avoided and replaced with beneficial foods, Blood Type Bs are very successful in controlling their weight

thanks in advance everyone!
~Sara-Jane

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They are very different so you can still eat oats on that diet
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are different!

On a side note, if you want to be SUPER extra duper careful, look for oats that are labelled gluten free. They should not have been near any wheat that could contaminate them.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Blood type diet? Dare I ask..... what is that about?
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    Blood type diet? Dare I ask..... what is that about?

haha!
    well if you are interested in learning more i blogged about it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rockabyesarojane

in that blog there is a link to the website. i figure i'll give it a whirl.
    why not?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Are oats different from wheat?

I'm asking because I'm starting the blood type diet and I am supposed to avoid wheat. I just wanted to figure out if I need to avoid eating oatmeal or if it's still okay for me.

Below is a breif overview of what things i'll be avoiding and why. (i'm happy to hear of suggestions for healthy replacement options and meal ideas!)

Type B Diet

For Type Bs the biggest factors in weight gain are:
    corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds.
    Each of these foods affect the efficiency of your metabolic process, resulting in fatigue, fluid retention, and hypoglycemia - a severe drop in blood sugar after eating a meal. When you eliminate these foods and begin eating a diet that is right for your type, you blood sugar levels should remain normal after meals.
    Another very common food that Type Bs should avoid is chicken. Chicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue. Although chicken is a lean meat, the issue is the power of an agglutinating lectin attacking your bloodstream and the potential for it to lead to strokes and immune disorders.

Dr. D'Adamo suggests that you wean yourself away from chicken and replace them with highly beneficial foods such as goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison. Other foods that encourage weight loss are: green vegetables, eggs, beneficial meats, and low fat dairy. When the toxic foods are avoided and replaced with beneficial foods, Blood Type Bs are very successful in controlling their weight

thanks in advance everyone!
    ~Sara-Jane

It doesn't sound right that it says to stay away from chicken, but you can have eggs.......

Agglutinating lectin is also found in Chicken eggs, as well as legumes, such as red beans.
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oats are the seeds from the Avena plants and wheat is the seed from triticum plants and are in the same "family" of plants. Both are a grain, but are not from the same plant. like one of the posts before me...try to go gluteen free and you are sure not to get contaminated oats aslo check out some of the celiac disease sites because there is wheat in a lot more things than you think. hidden under different names.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. Blood type diet.

Please pardon my skepticism but, I'm really thinking that blood type and diet have very little to do with each other. So; I checked it out. Turns out that I'm right. There is no Magic Pill. However, there is this proven formula:

Calories expended is less than calories consumed = weight gain.
    Calories expended is greater than calories consumed = weight loss.

We are in the former camp or we would not be here.

Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet

The 'blood type diet' is a diet advocated by Peter D'Adamo, a naturopathic physician, and outlined in his book Eat Right 4 Your Type. D'Adamo's claim is that ABO blood type is the most important factor in determining a healthy diet, and he promotes distinct diets for people with O, A, B, and AB blood types.

Throughout his books D'Adamo cites the works of biochemists and glycobiologists who have researched blood groups, claiming or implying that their research supports this theory. Nevertheless, the consensus among dietitians, physicians, and scientists is that the theory is unsupported by scientific evidence

At the bottom of the article are 4 references to support the skeptics.

I've tried junk science before and it is exactly that, junk. If you'll follow the MFP plan, you will lose weight.