P90X Pull Up Progress

sixpackgoal
sixpackgoal Posts: 146
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have to admit the pull ups on P90X are extreme. P90X reminds me of my old high school wrestling practices and my old boot camp days. However I am now 40. I am in okay shape as I ran a half marathon in Sept 2010 in Chicago....I do hill sprints...3 sets of five...I also still help out the high school wrestling team and can go "live wrestling" for 30 minutes with the kids. Yes I am an old wrestling gym rat.
Even being moderate fit, the pull ups kick my butt.
At first I tried doing them with no assistance. After doing 2 or 3 and watching everyone else knock out 15 per set on the video, I felt like a slacker.
Now I use the power tower and balance my legs on part of the horizontal bar of tower used for knee lifts.
Of course I can now do a lot but with a lot of assistance.
Should I stay with the modified version or go back to a few unassisted real ones?
Thanks for your advice.
I am doing my best....should I forget the rest?
I need more fitness minded friends....please feel free to friend me,

Replies

• I would try to do as many as you can unassisted and then do assisted.
  • I would try to do as many as you can unassisted and then do assisted.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I would suggest maxing out on "real" ones then do as many assisted ones without stopping. The only way to improve on the pull ups, is to do the pull ups. Prior to P90X I was able to do 16 chin ups and after 2 rounds of P90X was up to 26.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    I have to admit the pull ups on P90X are extreme. P90X reminds me of my old high school wrestling practices and my old boot camp days. However I am now 40. I am in okay shape as I ran a half marathon in Sept 2010 in Chicago....I do hill sprints...3 sets of five...I also still help out the high school wrestling team and can go "live wrestling" for 30 minutes with the kids. Yes I am an old wrestling gym rat.
    Even being moderate fit, the pull ups kick my butt.
    At first I tried doing them with no assistance. After doing 2 or 3 and watching everyone else knock out 15 per set on the video, I felt like a slacker.
    Now I use the power tower and balance my legs on part of the horizontal bar of tower used for knee lifts.
    Of course I can now do a lot but with a lot of assistance.
    Should I stay with the modified version or go back to a few unassisted real ones?
    Thanks for your advice.
    I am doing my best....should I forget the rest?
    I need more fitness minded friends....please feel free to friend me,

I would keep doing them with assistance and then slowly build up to doing them with out any. Each time you do Chest and Back try to add 1 more non assistance pull-up.
  • Oppie81
    Oppie81 Posts: 33
    I agree, pull ups are difficult… :o) I would do what I can without the help, and then complete the set with the help. This way you are still putting in a decent effort but also completing your work out. I would also bet that in time you will be able to do more without the help.
  • bumpity bump bump
This discussion has been closed.