What is the link between...

Options
Losing pounds and gaining muscle?

I'm doing an even cardio/strength training routine 3 days a week. The other 3-4 are mainly cardio with a little strength training thrown in. I would imagine (and can feel) that I am gaining quite a bit of muscle. Is it true that it weighs more than fat?

So say I weigh in tonight and haven't lost and lbs, could it be that they even each other out or am I doing something wrong?

PS-I can't change my exercise routine right now, as I work with a PT and he tells me what to do.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound but muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less space. (The feather vs. steel analogy works really well for this-imagine a lb. of each and how much you would have of each). It can make the scale look like you have gained so you should go by measuring and how your clothes fit.

As an example, I used to work with a trainer. She was 5'5" and weighed a very solid 150 lbs. No flab and when she flexed, you sure didn't want her mad at you! I am 5'9" and she weighed more than me at the time. It's not the number on the scale it's more what that number is made up of-feathers or steel.