Gaining Weight with MFP

Options
I see all these posts, blogs and trackers about losing weight but I'm using MFP for the opposite reason, to go from 140 to 165/170 ish and I was wondering where all the support, trackers and blogs are for that. I know I am going to get flammed but just know for a hard gainer it sucks just as bad as those who struggle to lose weight...im not eatting fast food, fried stuff, soft drinks, etc...im eatting the same nasty health food as everyone else, just more of it :sick:

Replies

• rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is set up to primarily be a weight-loss tool, but heck if I were you I'd make my own signature that says you're using it to gain weight and how much you've gained. Go you for reaching your goals!!!

Most people, the majority using this site, don't want anyone to know if they've gained weight. That's why it doesn't show it on there.
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have an anorexic friend who is in the same boat and I think you can use MFP for the gaining part as well since you are tracking nutrients and so forth...I was way under weight w/ the lap band and have now rebounded the other direction since I had a hole blown in my stomach...so I have been on both side of the fence... I wish you well in your endeavor to become healthy!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I sincerely HOPE that no one here is ugly to you. I hope you find it helpful and get some support. I WISH I had your problem but I would be happy to donate any of my excess weight your way LOL. I recommend adding protein powder and flax seed to your diet.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My son is on here to gain weight too. He is on a 3300 calorie a day diet...that young man needs some serious food! He doesn't come to the forums however, he uses the phone app and bar scanner (and mom).

I've been helping him with his diet plan, which is much like mine, but with much more calorie dense foods. Let me know if I can help at all.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Use MFP for community support - that is by far its biggest asset!
    Good luck with your weight gain (and yes, you will hear some snide comments - ignore them).

I use this site and caloriecount.com - have noticed a lot more "weight gain" people on there, if you're interested. Both have good support and accountability though. MFP's food database is SIGNIFICANTLY larger though.
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the same shoes as you are. He is a healthy eater and naturally lean build. However he would like to gain 10lb as well. He uses MFP app on his iPhone. It has setting as to how many calories he needs to eat a day in order to gain weight/1lb So he just follows that. Its a challenge for him because although he eats a lot his metabolism is very efficient and works well that he hardly ever gains weight from food. I don't think people will be bashing you. But from what I understood this site was build for weight loss not gain...I did see some other posts from people who want to gain weight ... try search the board and connect with them to see what they doing for that.

Good luck!
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    im not to sure MFP is made for that.. what does your eating habbits look like?
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you can switch it to "gain weight" in the goals menu.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Good luck! Are you looking to gain your weight specifically through muscle or do you just need to be heavier in general?
    While it is true that most people on here are here to lose weight, the website can be used to help you gain weight too! It's all about fitness! :)
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    The settings area is set up that you can put in current weight and goal weight be it higher or lower and then in the drop down section you can request the gain (x amount) per week option. I suspect you have already done this though.

It might be an idea for you to start a thread up titled "for those that want to gain" that way you will hopefully get like minded folk joining in with you for support.

The majority of folk on here will support you whether they are losing or gaining, but unfortunately there will always be the few that will make wee comments in the negative, ignore these and focus on all the positive feedback and support you will undoubtedly get here.

Wish you all the best :wink:
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    There are other people on here looking to gain weight too. They are just harder to find. I found one thread that may get you started http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133869-i-am-here-to-gain-weight?hl=gaining

You can set your goal to gain weight and I've seen people with weight gaining tickers too. Good luck!
  • paroxysm
    Options
    I'm on here for maintenance of my weight after using it to gain weight =) MFP was helpful to gain though I didn't really use the calorie portion- I used it to track what I was eating and to make sure I was getting the proper amounts of food at each meal and nutrients for the day. That's how I'm still doing it only now to maintain vs. gain.

You can set that up in the "Goals" part of your profile. MFP can work for you if you use it. People here will support you also if you ask -- everyone is very friendly!
  • nolaboi504
    Options
    thanks everyone for your replies, i didnt expect anything so quick!

Right now I'm averaging between 3300-4000 calories a day and my goal is to bulk up/gain muscle. I am averaging 450 carbs, 150g protein, trying to keep fats down, sodium down as well. I've always had a lean frame and extremely high metabolism, and if it wasn't for my daily 1500 calorie shake (milk, flaxseed oil, natty PB, protein powder, honey, bananas, etc) id probably be hurting.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You sound like my son :happy: . He's up 9 pounds since we worked up a diet plan and he started logging.

Good luck to you!