Belly Fat...ugh, help?

jessicamarie81
jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing the 30 Day Shred (4th day) and Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone for 2 weeks, I'm up to about 2 miles a day. So my question is...am I on the right road to blasting away belly fat? That is my major target area...my upper abdomen is actually not bad, my lower abdomen is not so great. Should I continue cardio and monitor calories like I am doing or should I be doing more? Any tips, tricks, exercises, or help would be awesome, thank you!

Replies

• cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Oooh, I would love to know that too. I am also doing the 30 Day Shred. My husband says he can see a little bit of abs, but they are all in my upper stomach and the bottom half is a jiggly mess. Lol. :)
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    You cannot target one area for weight loss, you can only build muscle in specific areas.

You're on the right road insofar as you're losing weight! Keep it up and you'll get what you're looking for, but anything promising to "blast away belly fat" is lying to you. Keep monitoring, working out, and STICK WITH IT! That's the secret to zapping everything :smile:. Also remember that a lot of humans retain a high % of their fat in their mid-section, meaning it may be one of the last places you lose it.

Low body fat % gives you your thin tummy back, not a specific exercise (although working your core/mid-section will help those abs pop when you lose the weight!). Good luck!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Diet is 80% of physique. You do need to worry about what you eat, not just how much. The right kind of fats and avoiding sugars (especially artificial added sugars) are a big part of it. But cardio will help you burn fat.
  • Jillian Michael's answered this question once. Basically in order to get rid of your pouch and inner thighs you have to keep melting fat. It's the last place fat likes to come off from. Keep doing exercises as that will build lean muscle mass, and do your cardio and eat right. All that will help burn fat, even if it doesn't show for a while. She has a six pack abs in six weeks video as well. It might be worth a look. I haven't had an opportunity to watch it. Whatever you do, be consistent. It will come with time, and you'll feel great when you finally reach your goal. Heck you'll feel great before you start looking cut. Hope that helps.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    I have a sad but truthful answer, your abs may strengthen but you may still have fat in the belly the only way to eliminate ( without surgery) belly fat is to have less body fat, our bodies choose to burn the adipose tissues ( fat cells) due to processes in our bodies and science or nutrition have yet to determine a course to blast away just the belly fat ( my boobs only wished that was true!) But keep up the great work, and maybe adding in 15 minute abs ( there are tons of free ones on fitnessmagazine.com) could help you could to focus your muscle toning in that area. Good luck!
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 138 Member
    Unfortunately, the only way to "spot reduce" is liposuction. Also, wherever you gain weight first, will be the stubborn place to lose the weight. Keep up the diet & exercise, be patient, & it will melt away.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    I do 300 ab crunches 5x a week...3 sets of 100...I've noticed in just 1 week, the tightening feeling in my belly. There's gotta be something to that! Pilates is great for ur core too!
  • jessicamarie81
    Thank you all for the comments! I've actually considered having a tummy tuck when I have the money...I've had a child and I don't see this skin going anywhere even if I keep up the cardio and exercising, fat maybe but not the skin, I know there's no cure to blast away the belly fat and it's sad!
  • jessicamarie81
    I should add that at one point in my life my highest weight was 295, I am now 176. So there is skin there regardless of the pouch!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    After you reach your goal you may be surprised :wink:

Also, another thing to note: when you're building your core muscles, but before fat loss, your belly may look even BIGGER than it does now. Don't let it discourage you, just know you're building underneath all that junk!
  • jessicamarie81
    Thank you, that may be true about looking bigger before looking smaller, I have actually gained a pound despite doing cardio and monitoring my food...but I can definitely tell I've lost inches. I'm trying not to let the scale determine everything but it is hard.
  • I have the same problem, I had 5 babies (3 c sections) and feel like my belly will never ever be small. Heck, I would even settle for not flat, just firmer and smaller.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    You cannot target one area for weight loss, you can only build muscle in specific areas.

Very true. People have an order of where their body stores fat, and I believe the reverse applies when losing weight. I have great legs and a over sized mid section. I know the last bits will be coming off my middle. Slow steady activity such as a brisk walk or slow run is best for burning fat. When you go to higher intensity your body changes the fuel mix.
This discussion has been closed.