Frustration

Options
I am so crazy frustrated right now.

A week and a half ago, I was 113.6. The last few days, I have been up at 116, 117. I haven't weighed that much in a year! I know, I know, it isn't that much, but freakin' A, it makes me feel huge. I don't want those 3, 4 pounds.

I wonder if it is just the fact that I am actually drinking the 8 cups of water a day (which I never did before), and because of TOM, I am retaining like crazy... But whatever it is, I just want it gone.

Thanks for reading my rant, if you have :)

Replies

• therese1982
    Options
    Maybe it's muscle mass. If you went into this to tone up and you are on a smaller frame you can gain a few lbs even if your clothes fit looser. Are your clothes tighter? If not - don't let yourself get down.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    TOM can make you retain water. Drinking 8 cups per day, however, will NOT. Drinking MORE water convinces your body that you are being adequately hydrated and will cause you to retain LESS - so keep drinking!!

You should wait a week and weigh-in again. If daily fluctuations (especially around TOM) are going to bother you this much, then you should only weigh once a week - same time/day each week to keep things consistent and the most comparable. I weigh-in daily, but only because I *expect* fluctuations (sometimes as much as 4 or 5 pounds after a high-sodium & low-water-consumption day!) and the fluctuations don't bother me. I only count one weigh-in per week as "official"

Edited to add: Unlike what another responder suggested, you could not have gained this much weight in muscle over such a short time, so it's highly likely that it's just water weight. Muscle weight gain is a slow process.
  • rachelnz
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day? My weight can fluctuate about a kg throughout the day. I weigh myself in the morning before eating, it is the only way I can think of to make it as accurate across the days/weeks as possible.
    Maybe you should start taking your measurements as well as kgs...?
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    well.....a cup of water is 8 ounces...so 2 of them make a pound.......you can see how it can make a difference in your weight throughout the day!

You weigh vey little! I don't know how tall you are, but I don't think you have any fat on you!
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and relax! Your body will fluctuate for many reasons including TOM, hormonal changes, etc. If your clothes feel fine, weigh in once a week. Don't beat yourself up over daily changes!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If it's your TOM, that explains it. Wait a week and weigh again. Make sure you weigh in at the same time of day and try to do it before eating breakfast. Any food or water consumption will change the number on the scale.

Drinking 8 glasses of water will not cause you to gain weight, it actually prevents water retention and helps you lose water weight that you may have been holding onto.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    well.....a cup of water is 8 ounces...so 2 of them make a pound.......you can see how it can make a difference in your weight throughout the day!

You weigh vey little! I don't know how tall you are, but I don't think you have any fat on you!

Liquid and dry ounces are not the same thing and can't be compared when it comes to weight. Even different liquids will weigh different amounts.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Chin up - many people here would nearly kill to be 117lbs at adult :wink: