Calories burned on machine vs those on mfp?

Options
I have a quick question. I was on the Crossramp eliptical machine and after 28 minutes it said that I burned 190 calories. I kept checking my heart rate throughout the workout and it was around 145-150. Now I input the time on MFP under elliptical trainer and it said I burned 428 calories. What's the difference? I DID NOT input my weight into the machine and I'm 222 pounds, is that where the difference comes from?

Replies

• adhillman01
    Options
    It is probably from the weight difference. I know the machines I use starts with a default of like 150lbs for calculating calorie burn. If you weigh more, you burn more calories. I would try inputting your weight on the machines to get a better calorie count.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Sadly I dont trust the calories it says I burned on the machine. I do enter my weight and age but it just seems too good to be do. 400 calories in 35 minutes...I wish :(
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Definately enter your weight on the machines whenever you can - makes a difference..most machines default weight is a 150 lb man .....
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    400 calories in 35 is easily doable on the ellipitcal..I always burn 400 when I use it....
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree, you definitely need to enter your weight to get a more accurate calorie count on the machine. I also, don't eat all of my excercise calories just in case the calories are not quite right.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would enter it as 300 cals. On the elliptical, i run at resistance 12 for 32 minutes, and only burn 275 calories at 65-70 rpm and I weight 168 (this is according to my hrm). So my guess is that at most you are burning 325 calories. The machine is wrong 99% of the time, and MFP tends to be way off too.

The most accurate way to count calories burned is with a heart rate monitor that also has a chest strap.