Filling breakfast ideas... need em

Options
I woke up today just starving. I had some oatmeal and coffee, then halfway thru the morning i was STARVING so i had some grapes and a orange. And by lunch my stomach was growling again. I just made a sandwich but i need something super filling.
What do you guys eat for a healthy FILLING breakfast?

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I usually do a half cup (uncooked) plain oatmeal, a handful of blueberries, and a little bit of splenda around 8:30 or 9:00. Then around 10:30-11:00 I'll have a half cup of low fat cottage cheese! OH and LOTS, and LOTS of water!!!
  • mavila95
    Options
    I usually eat a packet of oatmeal and drink 2 cups of green tea with jasmine that holds me down til lunch. I heard that if you drink a warm glass of water with half of lemon that should kee pyou good til lunch time.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Something with protein. Generally a yogurt will help keep me full for longer then say a bagel. However, I've been having the 110 calorie bagel things by Thomas with some margarine and a banana in the mornings and I stay pretty full and satisfied until lunch. I also plan to have a mid-morning snack of something small like a clementine or granola bar to keep my metabolism going. I'm usually not starving by the time lunch hits.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Are you eating instant oatmeal? because that's close to crap. You need to eat rolled oats or steel cut oats. More fibre=more filling. Try some Greek yogurt with your fruit -- it has protein in it so will fill you up longer. Also try tossing some seeds/nuts in with your oatmeal or yogurt.
    I like Quinoa instead of oats some mornings. I usually do 3 days Quinoa, 3 days Oats. A serving of that plus half a banana keeps me good until morning snack which is usually an apple.
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I switched it up today...normally I have my coffee and a packet of oatmeal. Today I had a protein shake. Unfortunately, I barely got the protein shake down due to a texture issue. I think I gagged every sip. I don't have much time in the morning to actually cook. Tomorrow I am going to try egg beaters with some cheese. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • sweetangelfor20
    Options
    I have just started this journey but have been eating kashi cereals with a teaspoon of sliced almonds half cup 1% milk and a half a cup of frozen fruit of some sort and Im hardly ever hungry until lunch or afternoon!
  • reikichris
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite breakfasts:

Egg white omelet with asparagus (or spinach) and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (or crumbled feta).
    I sometimes add mushrooms as well. I sauté the vegetables in Parkay fat free spray butter. Delicious :)
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelets! Tons of protein so it stays with you, and very low calories. I usually throw in things like feta cheese, tomatoes, turkey, spinach......... Mmmmmmm....I'm getting hungry thinking about it! :tongue:
  • Dmatkin
    Options
    The trick isn't to fill up on breakfast, but to fill your body more than three times per day. You need to eat about every 2.5 to 3 hours to keep your metabolism going. If you don't, it will slow down. I eat non-instant oats every day. Do you notice that you get hungry quicker when you eat instant oats? That's because they have been processed down to the bare minimum and don't have the fiber you need to stay full. Also make sure you eat some protein with that oatmeal. Your body processes most efficiently when you eat protein and carbs together.

One of my favories is 1/2 cup of oats (then cook them) organic maple syrup, brown sugar, walnuts (protein) and half a banana. I also put wheat germ, wheat bran, oat bran, and flaxseed on my oatmeal. Helps keep things moving along....
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    For my mornings I don't know what I ever did with out Shakeology. It keeps me full until I make myself eat a snack, and some days, I just wait for lunch. Do you have time to make eggs in the morning. Higher protein will help!
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    I find I starve all day if I eat instant oatmeal or Cereal! Every morning I scramble 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg and have a piece of light rye toast with it! I don't feel hungry for about 3 hours then have a yogurt to hold me over until lunch! I under cook the eggs just a little bit then warm them up in the microwave at work....super delicious still! In total the calories are 181 for that breakfast :)
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually eat two eggs with a pinch of shredded cheese in a low carb/ high fiber wrap. I eat around 7 and I'm not really hungry again until at least noon. The whole thing is 245 calories. My experience is that the more protein I eat the longer I'm satsified.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    you might need to try more protein (eggs, greek yogurt) to keep you full longer or low-GI (glycemic index) foods might better stabilize blood sugar so you don't get hungry. Also, maybe you need more calories, most oatmeal is only about 160 cals per serving, and yes, try and make the slow-cook kind, way more fiber which is also filling, and protein, as someone else mentioned.
    I try to eat 300 cals breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner and you can check out my diary-some days are better than others! some examples:
    yogurt and fruit
    yogurt (120), toaster waffle (70) and turkey sausage (70)
    egg scrambled (100) with bacon (80) on whole wheat toast (100)
  • lilmisslanna
    lilmisslanna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My fave so far is
    One multigrain toaster waffle topped with 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese,
    a banana sliced up and some strawberries... drizzled with a little Agave sweetner... and one egg - either hardboiled or scrambled
    Keeps me satisfied!!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lundberg organic no-salt brown rice cake (70 cal) with 1.5 TB Adams peanut butter (150 cal), 8 oz glass of low-sodium V8 (50 cal) = total 270 calories. Maybe a small apple, too. Works like a dream for me. :wink:
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I put a spoon full of all natural peanut butter in my oatmeal. It adds that extra bit of protein :)
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do Greek yogurt with a half cup dry oatmeal and fruit all mixed. On most days it keeps me full until lunch, but sometimes I need a snack by 11am.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg sandwich.
    I use one egg and one egg white.
    A slice of chees and a thomas' bagel flat. sometimes I throw in some pepper and onion stir fry mix and make it like an omlette sandwich.
  • claireasquith
    Options
    Good old porridge, juice and a big cup of tea - I feel really full after and don't need to eat until lunch-time. Normally want lunch by twelve but just so I can have a break from work really!! Find it harder to fill up at dinner time though!
  • moniqueluv
    moniqueluv Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You definitely need protein. I usually eat 1 egg and egg white, 2 turkey bacon and one slice wheat toast. Sometimes I skip the toast and I still find that i'm not hungry for about 4 hours. Whenever I just eat carbs (especially oatmeal) 1.5 hours later I'm starving as if I hadn't eaten anything at all.