Exercise calories burned going down

stebabe15
stebabe15 Posts: 28
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Can anyone help me understand the exercise calories burned a little better? I’ve been doing yoga 3 times a week for 45 minutes. When I first started MFP calculated 45 minutes of “yoga” as 121 calories. The other week it calculated it as 119, now today it came out to 118. Why would it be changing? I thought it was because I was loosing weight, but I heard when you loose weight you burn calories easier, so the number should be going up. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Steph!

SW: 145
CW: 138.6
GW: 127 (June 1st)

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    It takes more calories to move a heavier person, so it makes sense that as your weight goes down, the same movements would burn fewer calories. Think about it: it takes more energy to lift 20 lbs. than it does to lift 10 lbs., right? Same principle with your workouts. That's why heavier people can drop weight at a faster rate than thinner people -- they use more calories just moving.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    You burn fewer calories during exercise as you lose weight.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    As you lose weight, your body burns less calories overall - you don't need as many calories to keep a smaller body running. This applies to exercise and non-excercise calories burned. That's why MFP has you recalculate your goals every 10 lbs or so, since your "normal daily calories burned" will decrease as you lose weight (as will exercise calories burned). Also, as you exercise and improve your fitness, your body will become more efficient at working and won't burn as much (though this only factors in if you're using a HRM or BodyMedia FIT to calculate calories burned).
  • Ok! Well that helps! Thank you!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    I bought a HRM for a more accurate count. The totals on mfp, and say a treadmill are always WAY higher then i have actually burned...totally sucks!! haha...for me its usually about half! The other morning i did YogaX for an hour and burned 80 calories! Ya i was soo mad, because you feel like you should be burning so much more! Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.