Run Speeds

velix
velix Posts: 437 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
The title should be Walk Speeds - Sorry!!

So, I have been logging my walking (anything over 15 minutes straight) using the MFP database straight up. I am usually told I am a "fast" walker, so I have always selected moderate or brisk pace...

The choices on MFP are slow pace = 2.0mph; 2.5 leisurely pace; 3.0 moderately paced, walking dog, brisk pace 3.5, v. brisk 4.0 and v. v. brisk 4.5.

WELL let me tell you - I thought I would test those speeds out on the treadmill today - and 3.5 is A LOT faster than I assumed. I went up to 4.5 and felt like a speed walker (feeling the urge to enter into a slight jog). That being said, I am now always only logging leisurely or moderate now that I know what 3.5 feels like...

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm uncomfortable walking below 3mph. My normal is probably close to 3.5, because when I walk the dog, I can go a mile in under 20 minutes, and that's including his potty breaks. And he takes a LOT of them. Up to 19 per mile! (Yes. I've counted.)
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    to be fair, I've never been comfortable on a treadmill - always have to watch my feet!

19 potty breaks - wholly molly! hahaha
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    I understand what you are saying. In some ways although effort is subjective, I think it should go on effort rather than outright speed. My argument being that as a shorter person at my fastest pace (and I am fairly fast walker) if I am walking with a much taller person they are putting in less effort to go at the same speed I am. Keeps me fit though!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    I generally figure out how fast I walk by mapping my route online, (mapmyrun.com) and then figuring out how long it took me to walk it. It almost always gives me back 3.5 mph, so now that's the speed I put myself down as walking. If I'm going for a walk on the treadmill, I can keep it up around 4.2 relatively comfortably, but higher than that hurts my hips!
This discussion has been closed.