Lunch Ideas

Options
ok I work in a office and I am looking for a bunch of lunch ideas. In our office we have a microwave,fridge and a toaster oven that can broil, bake and toast.

I need some idea please.

I am a very picky eater, I hate eggs and fish...lol just thought I owuld throw that out there :)

Thank you in advance

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Do you have a trader joes near you? They have wonderful freshly prepared salads that are in the 200-300 calorie range.

My current favorite is the roasted beet with chicken. 280 or so calories with dressing.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Subway
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Lean Cusines are always great.:) Progresso soup with a salad. On the weekends I cook chicken just cut it up and put it on salads. A good Idea is to bring low calorie snacks so by lunch time you dont feel so hungry. like granola bars/100 calorie packs/ air-popped popcorn(1 cup is only 15calories!)/ yougurt/ fruit.....Also if your really in the mood for a sandwich there is thin-sliced bread which is only 50 calories a slice,fat free cheese(pre-packaged), and lean meats like turkey...
    good luck I hope this helps
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love left-overs for lunch, because I really enjoy the food my boyfriend and I prepare. I love divided containers for taking lunches, because I can assemble a salad or sandwich in partitions, so that the wetter ingredients don't make the others soggy before I eat them.

I am a pescatarian, so I only eat fish. Lately, I have been loving tuna melts with chunk light tuna, and if you make with yoghurt instead of mayo (adding a little horseradish sauce) each serving of the tuna is only around 50 calories for a fairly substantial amount! You could easily put some bread, cheese, and non-wet ingredients in one container, the tuna in another, and quickly assemble during your break. slide them under the broiler, and voila!

if you're looking for lower-calorie options, but still convenient. There is a relatively new product line called Gardein, they make low-calorie, meat substitutes that can be microwaved or placed in a toaster oven. I can vouch for the multi-grain tenders, and they do taste like real chicken tenders, but a serving is only 100 calories and packed with protein. I heat a little bit of red hot and honey in the microwave and pour over them for buffalo style tenders.

I really cannot speak enough about the greatness of leftovers, but then again, I really enjoy cooking and like to think I am pretty good at it. Bringing convenience foods really doesn't allow you much control over nutrition, plus it can always be a gamble as to flavor, texture, etc.
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    woops, i didn't see that you didn't like fish! i am sorry for talking up tuna melts so much!
  • mama_mia3
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom with a busy 19month old baby and the lunch thing has been difficult to keep up with. Off the top of my head though I made a pretty awesome lunch in just short amount of time today....it was a bit of an "ah crap! is there even anything to eat?!" After a scan of my fridge I grabbed left over (cold and plain) spaghetti noodles from yesterday dinner, diced up some cucumbers and celery and 2 tbsp of Italian dressing and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. I'm sure you can add other veggies like peppers and tomatoes, but the celery and cucumber was all I had to work with. Topped it off with a tall glass of water. It was a good lunch and only 307 calories. It filled me up pretty good.

Another good one would be a high protein sandwich or some sort. I've done a can of tuna (which you could easily subsitute with shredded chicken) with 4 mini kosher dills diced, 2 leaves of lettuce (or more for a more busty sandwich), 3 hard boiled egg whites diced, 2 Tbsp miracle whip and 2 slices of whole grain bread. I ate what didn't fit in the sandwich like a salad and I was full clear to dinner time. It was 435 calories...depending on what type bread you use it could probably be lower or higher than that.

One more "ah crap..." lunch was a chicken breast (boneless, skinless) cubed and stir fried in a Tbsp of olive oil with diced carrots and (left over from previous nights dinner) brown rice ...stirred all together with a tsp of soysauce. I'll add you as a friend and you can take a peek at my food diary. Hope this helps!! We'll have to keep each other up to date with nice, quick and filling lunches!!
  • SuperSueg1
    SuperSueg1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like leftovers because I already know the calorie count. I make dinner and figure out the calories then divide one serving in half for lunch so it is half the calories. I add a salad and there is a good lunch. You already know you will like it if you had it for dinner the night before.

I also eat a small snack about two hours before lunch. I really like the 100 calorie snack packs they are easy to throw in the purse and keep in the office drawer.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well you could eat just about anything in. That's awesome! Here's one idea, it's simple and a little different. Now I prepare the night before. I take a green bell pepper, cut the top out and core it. then I put it in a small baking dish with a little water in the bottom. Cover the top with a lid or saran wrap. Put in microwave and nuke for about a minute, maybe longer depending on how long it takes to cook. When it's done I fill it with some ground turkey, chopped tomatoes, cooked portabellas, maybe even some chopped eggplant. Add some spices and it's easy to heat up the next day. It's different and tasty not to mention low cal.
  • rachel1975f
    Options
    I like the lean cuisines, smart ones, and healthy choice steamer meals that you can throw in the microwave. I just try to find the varieties that have less carbs and sodium. Then I usually add more volume to it by adding in extra steamed veggies, leftover from the prior night's dinner (just cook extra). It works out to be a satisfying lunch for less than 300 cals!!
  • reikichris
    Options
    I make a pot of soup or a bean salad on Sunday and eat them throughout the week.
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I made a crockpot of chili yesterday for dinner and what was left I put 1cup into bowls and took them to work for my lunches all week. (279 calories)
  • chopper91
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas.I was looking because i always get sick of making the same ol same and I needed to spice up my meals a little.

Thank you all again and if you come up with more you know where to post them...lol
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I just had a yummy salad made from leftovers;

1 cold boiled potato, cut into small cubes
    1 tomato, cubed similar size
    1/3 pack of marinated artichoke hearts, halved.

Stir together with a tablespoon of light mayo, and a grind of black pepper.

It was great on its own (about 140 cals) but would also make a delicious accompaniement to a slice of ham or other lean meat.
  • Gafoe
    Gafoe Posts: 5
    Options
    Costco has this salmon in a can that is skinned and de-boned, if you make up a bowl of it; I like Miracle whip lite, pickle relish and onion, spice to taste (NO SALT), and use Carr crackers, very filling and great protien and Omega-3. Fresh fruit, yougert, celery & carrot sticks for snacks during the day. Lost most of my weight on this.