How many calories to choose?

Options
I started off at 1200 a day with and hr and 30 min of working out..For weeks I lost nothing so my son said try jogging. Well I added jogging to my routine and still nothing. Well I raised my calories to 1500 and still nothing. I did however hurt my knee running. I think today ill finally be able to get back to my walks but I am not loosing any weight and what I did loose came back the next day..If im not loosing at 1200 or 1500 should I go down to 900?

Replies

• butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your food diary looks like, but I know you need to make sure not only to stay within your calorie limit, but make sure you don't go too over with other nutrients, like protein or fat, which has been my downfall in the last few weeks. Dropping to 900 could be dangerous. Also, weight can fluctuate from day to day, especially if you're weighing yourself at different times of day. Maybe try weighing slightly less (perhaps every other day?) and try to make sure it's at the same time
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi No you shouldn't go to 900. So some of the more experienced members can see where you are going wrong perhaps open your food diary to make it public.

To make public, My Home>Settings then scroll down page and click public and save.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're having trouble losing weight, but I do know that you're never supposed to go below 1200 net calories. Try eating small meals throughout the entire day to keep your metabolism up, drink lots of water, and eat back your exercise calories so you don't fall below a NET of 1200. Eating less than 1200 for a long period of time will cause your metabolism to slow down and it will make losing weight -and keeping it off- harder in the long run! Good luck, I hope you can find what works for you!
  • mamad122
    mamad122 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What 1 1/2 hour workout are you doing? How much more weight are you trying to lose?
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say your calories might still be too low, even after raising them to 1500. Depending upon what you're doing for workouts, if you're exercising for 90 minutes a day, you could be burning upwards of 1000 calories...or even more. I would try either increasing your calories further, cutting down your workout time, or a combination of both. You should be hitting at least 1200 calories AFTER subtracting out your workout calories. So if you're burning, say, 1000 calories in your workout, you'll want to actually eat at least 2200 calories that day.

Hope this helps.
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking your body measurements? Sometimes the scale wont budge, but you can lose inches off your bits. I lost nothing on the scale this week, but my body fat percentage dropped by 1.6%. Don't give up, and don't drop calories below 1200 or you'll go into starvation mode. Make sure you read (and re-read) the "newby-posts" on the message boards. They will explain the many problems with dropping your calories too low. Good luck.
  • starryg16
    starryg16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem... what happens if you go under the 1200 cals/per day? Is that bad? I see other members are under their calorie count a lot (when they finish their entries), and it seems like they are losing a lot!