When Should You Switch Things Up?

Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Everyone keeps talking about how you have to switch up your work out routine, your calories and so on but when do you know it is time to do it? Do I have to wait until I stop losing? or just when I start to lose less. It is my third week into my healthy eating. I lost 5lbs the first week, 4lbs the 2nd and this week 2.5lbs. Does this mean it is time for me to switch things up? or is it natural? How do you like to switch things up?

Replies

• shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Well I have been at it since mid september and I am starting to switch thing up because I am not loosing as much weight. I am down 24 pounds and I only lost 3 pounds for the month of Jan. So this is how I know I have to step my game up.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Well I have been at it since mid september and I am starting to switch thing up because I am not loosing as much weight. I am down 24 pounds and I only lost 3 pounds for the month of Jan. So this is how I know I have to step my game up.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    It is normal for you to lose a higher number at the beginning and then it will lessen each week until you are at what MFP and you planned for number of pounds per week. At first you are losing extra water weight and then it is actual fat. Usually, a plateau is when you don't lose for several weeks. At that time is when you should change up your workout routine and boost your calorie intake.
    You are doing great and keep up the good work!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    I'd probably mix up your routine every few weeks more so that you don't get bored of it and give up. For example, cook a new recipe, take a class or go for a walk outside instead of on the treadmill
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Thanks guys for the suggestions and help.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    It is very natural to lose more at the beginning and less each week thereafter. For me I had to start switching it up with my calorie intake and my workouts about 2-3 months in as I hit a hard plateau and nothing was happening. As long as you are losing at least .5 pound per week you are doing well and doing it the healthier way!
  • flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    I like to switch it up every 4 to 6 weeks to keep my workouts fresh. I get bored easy. Most trainers reccomend changing your workout every 6 weeks to confuse your muscles so they can grow. You may want to bump up on the intensity on your cardio to get your heart rate up because your body might be getting used to these exercises. I hope this helps.

Keith
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    The idea of muscle confusion always makes me laugh. My biceps don't know or give a flying poo that I'm changing things up, all they know is they're getting worked. For weight loss, yeah change it up for the sake of your own sanity, if I ran on the treadmill every day for cardio I'd probably numb out, switch it up, have fun with it. For weight lifting you manipulate the variables by adding reps or weights, that's not confusion, that's progression...consistency is key.

However I must say I really enjoy my buddies muscle confusion program where he'll walk towards the squat rack and then at the last moment turn away and hit the flat bench instead. This confuses his muscles into thinking they're going to squat but then at the last moment making them bench instead.

He'll also drive to the gym, get out of the car walk towards the gym and then turn back, get into the car and drive home. This confuses the muscles even more.

BTW, he's an IFBB Pro card member from NY.
    Disclaimer-the muscle confusion part is a joke, for the love of God please don't try that.
  • I've been at this since Jan 3 and have only lost a little over 5 lbs so far. My total lost was 8.4 l.bs last week but then I gained 2.4 this week. I am frustrated because I know I stayed on the plan and worked out 5 days last week. I think that is water gain but I've drink at least 2 liters a day. I just knew I would lose more than this by now. I'm trying not to convince myself that I dont have a metabolism!! HELP!! ;-/
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Shake up your workout routine when:
    it becomes easy
    it becomes boring
    it isn't giving you the calorie burn that you desire.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    yeah muscle confusion? doesnt exist. its like hardgainers, lol. All mythical. those people just need to eat more/train harder. :p

but yeah with cardio, mix that stuff right up if you get bored easily. Running, cycling, rowing, weight circuits (with this one, the possiblilties and combinations are really quite endless), swimming...how can you get bored!!!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Every 6 weeks ... is a good rule of thumb.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    However I must say I really enjoy my buddies muscle confusion program where he'll walk towards the squat rack and then at the last moment turn away and hit the flat bench instead. This confuses his muscles into thinking they're going to squat but then at the last moment making them bench instead.

hahahaha this made me laugh ..
This discussion has been closed.