Can you guys recommend a good Heart Rate Monitor?

ileana84
ileana84 Posts: 163
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I had a not so good experience with my recent HRM and Im returning it :( But Im open to suggestions since I do feel like I push myself more with it (weirdo) lol If you can also add the prices, I would appreciate that as well :)

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    bump
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    i hope someone responds wih some recommendations so many to choose from. i want one with a chest strap because if accuracy.

what about you? what are you looking for in a HRM?
  • ileana84
    ileana84 Posts: 163
    I think Im definately going to have to go with a chest strap because of the accuracy. I had the watch but I guess I feel a bit iffy now. :)
  • DUE TO LOW FUNDS I BOUGHT (WELL 2 ONE FOR MY WIFE AND ONE FOR MYSELF) PRO-FORM HRM IT CAME WITH THE CHEST STRAP AND I FOUND IT AT WAL-MART FOR 47.99. I AM PRETTY HAPPY WITH IT AND HAPPY THAT IT WORKS WITH THE MACHINES AT THE GYM. HOPE THIS HELPS. IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A NOTE.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    I have the Polar FT7. I love it. chest strap is more comfortable than I thought it would be. Seems very reliable, and I never have problems with it finding my heart rate. It was a little pricey tho. I only got it because I had a Macy's gift card and their website was having a sale and free shipping. I think they are usually around $135 to $150. I have also heard good things about the FT4. About 20 to 30 cheaper, and I really don't know if there is any difference.
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it! It has the chest strap and was about $80 on Amazon. Highly recommended.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    well I guess I paid too much cause i just did a search and sears has them for $80 for the FT4 and $99 for the FT7.

buy.com also has them for 80 with FREE SHIPPING!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    You should search this topic- because there is a ton of information already on the boards about it- especially since so many people just got them for Christmas!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Im looking for one intergrated with the iphone...I hope someone recomends a good one!
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    I use Polar. It is very accurate and came highly recommended. Almost all the personal trainers and instructors I know (from my previous gym rat days) use Polar. It has a chest strap and programmable watch. I got the pink ladies version, Polar F7. My DH got if for me for Valentines day a few years ago. He got if at ****'s Sporting Goods but I'm sure lots of places will have them. You can even search online for a better price. It was right around $100 at that time. I've never had any problem with it. Just change the watch battery. The strap comes in different sizes but is highly adjustable - and surprisingly comfortable. I never realize it is on. You can download SW from Polar and it will upload your data for tracking if you have a micrphone. (Yep, the data is transmitted via sound) You can download data and logos to the watch also but it requires a certain kind of speaker, some of the built in speakers, like on a laptop probably won't work) Sorry, I can't remember the technical term for the speaker type. Also, all these details are specific to the model I have, not all Polars. Go to Polar website and compare models then serach for the best price on the one you like.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    there are a number of threads on this if you search it. I don't have one yet but have it narrowed down to 2. This is really a very personal choice, and dependent on the kind of exercise you do. For runners you might want to choose one that has a stop watch and interval timers. There are some that are specific to people who cycle and others for weght training. Polar seems to be the HRM most reccommended, but with that high reccommendation comes a price. In my search I have found that the Garmin and Timex also seem to have consistently good reviews and more appropriate features. I would suggest going to the polar website and checking out the selection at least to identify what features you want. (don't purchase there though, you can find much better deals). I have been told to ensure that you find a model that has user replaceable batteries (some models require that it be sent away). As others have noted, you want a chest strap for better consistency and accuracy. I know there are no firm answers in this message.... Sorry about that. I hope the info was helpful though. Lots of people rave about the polar F4, polar f6 and f7. They sound accurate and easy to use, with some interesting features (but not TOOO many). I think all these models range from 70 - 110. (on sites other than polar).
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    polar ft4 FOR SURE
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    OOPS -- Sorry - Mine is the F6.
This discussion has been closed.