knees, knees oh PLEASE!

Fgillies
Fgillies Posts: 194
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,

I have noticed lately my knees are sore after workouts ( whether it be step & sculpt, zumba, or even running)...I have never had any problems with my knees, only weak ankles from a history of fracture, spraings.twists & turns ( thank you several years of competitive cheer , ha) ANYWAY....any suggestions? Is this something i should be concerned with. I'm conciously working on my form for squats ( i know that sounds dumb, but i know my form is a little whacky...its an ever going improvement)....and thought maybe this could effect it as well.

Should i try stretching more?..ice or heat?...

I am 28, dont want to wake up feeling 98!!

:)

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    It's funny you mention that. When I first started doing squat intensive workouts (30 day Shred, Insanity) I noticed my knees were often sore. I hadn't noticed they had stopped until I read your post. Sore is one thing and should be alleviated by drinking lots of water, getting a good amount of protein, and a good amount of potassium. I am also 28, so I say that as long as it isn't outright painful, just keep working and your knees will get stronger and won't be so sore any longer.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    At the same rate, there is sore . . . "oh, my muscles hurt from working out." . . . and then there's a pain that you, instinctively know there is something wrong. The pain I experienced hurt but not horribly so, but it was more of my knee was tweaked, I could tell it wasn't just "sore", but hurt. It ended up being a tendon issue and I wish I would've dealt with it earlier. I would say if its hurting you to a point you're concerned, see a doctor. By the way, I swear by icing and getting the proper nutrients, including enough water. Icing mine really does help.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    At the same rate, there is sore . . . "oh, my muscles hurt from working out." . . . and then there's a pain that you, instinctively know there is something wrong. The pain I experienced hurt but not horribly so, but it was more of my knee was tweaked, I could tell it wasn't just "sore", but hurt. It ended up being a tendon issue and I wish I would've dealt with it earlier. I would say if its hurting you to a point you're concerned, see a doctor. By the way, I swear by icing and getting the proper nutrients, including enough water. Icing mine really does help.

And my tendonitis was due to squats and the wrong form combined with too much weight. I ran a lot at that time in my life as well.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    my knees i think are "sore" at this point, it isnt pain i cant live with, more like ....tomorrow i'll be walking sore like i used every muscle in my body! haha..I am REALLY working on my squat posture, that is when i notice it most!!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Possible a neoprene soft brace cold help. Or a knee band for ibt I think? I forget the knee abreviasion but it happens to runners a lot with overuse injuries.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I ice my knees after extended running (anything over 5km) and I take a daily glucosomine supplement which seems to have really helped. I also wear a tensor support on both of them when I'm running.

But I have wicked joint pain if I'm not really careful with my knees.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    So, from what I gather:
    There aren't really any muscles in your knees. So working out shouldn't make you 'sore' that way. I say this as someone who has some unpronouncable condition where all the bones in my kneecap are shattered and running makes them swell like 10fold, lol. I'd be careful--there's a difference between 'sore because I'm using them again' and 'sore because there's something wrong'--pay attention to what your body is telling you and don't ruin it!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    It's funny you mention that. When I first started doing squat intensive workouts (30 day Shred, Insanity) I noticed my knees were often sore. I hadn't noticed they had stopped until I read your post. Sore is one thing and should be alleviated by drinking lots of water, getting a good amount of protein, and a good amount of potassium. I am also 28, so I say that as long as it isn't outright painful, just keep working and your knees will get stronger and won't be so sore any longer.
    I agree with this advice. I have a history of knee problems and was sore a lot too. My trainer gave me that exact advice: drink more water to cushion the joints and eat a banana & peanut butter after the workout. I am actually running now and startinng to learn how to jump (strange to say that but this formerly fat girl hasn't jumped since she was 10 years old).
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    I've been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements all month and have noticed that my knees are aching less after workouts and stair use. They used to click all the time and snap loudly every time I squatted, but they only occasionally do that now. It's a noticeable improvement.

I'm only 27, but my knees have been weak since I was about 10. It actually prevented me from becoming active. I have been taking these joint supplements only for the month of January to test them out before I get into more intense workouts. So far all I've been doing is elliptical, since it has the least impact but still strengthens legs.

Starting today, I'm trying out Nature Made Triple Flex (Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM w/D3), which I have read is one of the best on the market.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I have knee problems (torn meniscus in the right knee which was repaired once and has been damaged again since) and there are times when a person works out where the knee will be sore, but not injured. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it is different than the pain of injury. It will usually go away, as mentioned lots of water and the rest will help.

As for heat or ice, for an injury they the acronym is RICE--Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation is what it stands for I believe. I ice for about 4-5 minutes when my knee aches. If I remember correctly it takes down the inflammation which will help things heal/strengthen. Seeing as baseball pitcher ice their arm after throwing I figure it probably will help with the strain of a workout as well although I have no knowledge of research articles to prove it, but I have not really researched it either.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Nobody likes to hear this (including myself--I'm not the best at getting my injuries treated), but it is very difficult to give advice without knowing specifics about the diagnosis. You are receiving a lot of well-meaning advice, but it is scattershot since no one really knows what your problem is.

There are two syndromes that sort of fit your background and presentation of symptoms. The most common source of anterior knee pain (outside of an acute injury) is patellar tendinitis, aka patello-femoral syndrome. This can occur when quadriceps muscles (esp vastus medialis oblique) are weak compared to other muscles and cannot keep the patella tracking properly. PFS can occur as an overuse injury, or it can begin as an acute strain that turns into a chronic injury.

Another condition that is rarer, but also is possible given your profile is chondromalacia. Chondromalacia used to be used as a "catch all" term for nonspecific knee pain (which usually turned out to be PFS), but it is not misused as much anymore. Chondromalacia occurs as a result of the cartilage behind the patella softening and developing more of a "rough" surface that irritates the joint surface. True chondromalacia is not that common, but I have seen it in women your age who were involved in sports activities that involved a lot of jumping--it is more frequent in basketball and volleyball players, but I think cheerleading might fall into that category as well.

Usually symptoms like this occur because either the volume of exercise or some particular exercise are creating greater forces than the joint is prepared to handle.

One other thing as well: it could be that your history of "weak ankles" means that your proprioceptive balance is not good and that can contribute to joint instability as well.

I would google each of these syndromes and find a few stretching and strengthening exercises. I would also take a break from activities such as running, zumba and squats and see if that quiets things down. If that helps you can try adding them back one at a time, more gradually.
This discussion has been closed.