Restaurant Struggles

Options
Hey guys :)

I was just wondering if anyone has general tips for restaurant food. What should I eat, as a general rule, when I have to dine out? I feel like a lot of the food is very high calorie and I was just looking for some guidance. Thank you guys! :smile:

Replies

• sweetpea007
    Options
    Avoid it when possible...even salads can be extremely high calorie foods. Applebees and Ruby Tuesday have a decent variety of weight watcher safe foods.
  • flamingomangopie
    Options
    Get this book:
    "Eat This Not That" by David Zinczenko

There are several editions, for restaurants, supermarket, kids. I use one every day.
  • Arizonagirl
    Options
    I used to work in a restaurant and the salads there were actually worse than a simple bowl of whole wheat penne with marinara! Not even kidding! One of the salads had heavy cheese, ranch, and fried chicken. As someone who has worked in a restaurant my advice is to watch your portions, don't fill up on the bread, and go easy on the add-ons (butter, dressing, toppings, etc...). Just be conscious of what you're eating & when possible consult the menu online before going. It is easier for me to stay on track if I decide prior to going out what I'll eat and look up the nutrition info before i ever order anything.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting by researching the restaurant menu before you go. That way you can choose the healthiest foods available. Another huge motivating tool is to input your meal on MFP before you go. Write it down so you don't forget. By planning ahead and being accountable on here, you will be much less tempted to give in to all the unhealthy options. Good luck!
  • imbwy420
    Options
    Watch out for low-fat and low-carbohydrate options at chain restaurants, and stick to plain shrimp or small steaks at nice places - always substitute french fries for plain salads with dressing on the side, and plenty of steamed vegetables. No mashed potatoes or creamed spinach - full of butter, oil, cheese, etc. Just keep everything light and fresh. Good luck!

P.S. Avoid getting appetizers or desserts. Stick to one solid meal.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like to look up the restaurant before I go. Almost all of them have calorie info available online so there are no surprises. As general rule, you can't go wrong with a sirloin or grilled chicken and veggies/baked potato. Beware of sauces, those tend to really pack on the hidden calories.
  • hogaber
    Options
    Grilled fish is generally pretty safe, i think - or if you order Pasta try and get an entree size with a tomato sauce, not a creamy one. If I order a salad I'll ask for the dressing on the side so I can control how much goes on...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I second that. Most restaurants have the nutritional information available online so you can plan your meal in advance. Some have them at the actual restaurant. I always ask if I don't know ahead of time. Also be aware that there are lots of hidden calories and sodium in restaurant food. Where you might add a teaspoon or two of oil cooking something at home, they will add a couple of tablespoons.
  • Jenn1254
    Jenn1254 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat out semi-often with co-workers (hazard of the job). I sat down one night and made a spreadsheet of all the restaurants I like to eat at, what I could eat there, and the nutrition information for those items. Since my diet consists of cutting back calories, I put the foods and their calories into a note app on my phone so I would always have it with me for a quick reference. Sometimes I have a lot of calories left to eat at the end of the day so I make sure I add a few higher calorie options that I might normally avoid in case I need to tighten the gap. If it's a restaurant not on my list, I just quickly search foods before I order.
  • cnflet2
    cnflet2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There is no need to avoid eating as restaurants like one person suggested earlier- when i thought like that i felt deprived and hated dieting. you can eat whatever you want- in moderation.

I work at a restaurant right now and some of the salads are actually worse for you then the steak and fries with all the dressing and cheese.

I suggest-

1. look up the restaurant before hand and pick out some healthy options
    2. stick to what you know is healthy- grilled fish, and veg. (ask that they dont use oil or butter on ur food)
    3. learn a couple Italian guidelines such as - ravioli has less calories than spaghetti and meatballs.

and avoid eating bread that they bring for you- even ask that it not be put on the table.