I wussed out

jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I live about 1.2 mi from the gym. I always feel like I should walk there and back so I can skip the cardio and go straight to weights (and avoid paying for parking).

The problem with the walk home, is well the hill home. It is actually up hill the entire way. With the last 4 blocks as the steepest portion.

Today I walked there. And took the bus home. :(

I need more energy!

Maybe tomorrow I can walk both ways.

Replies

• Always look to tomorrow :) I'm sure you'll do great tomorrow walking there and back. Hills kill me :). Try doing it in steps.... do part of it as a warmup, so a moderate pace... then speed up for parts of it when you get your energy back, then back down to a slower pace. You'll get there :) We just have to work harder for that :) good luck!
  • AkBUTLER
    AkBUTLER Posts: 107
    Do it slowly! Maybe for a few days walk there and ride back, then switch to walking both ways, eventually power walking both ways and someday running both ways ;) You can do it!!! :)
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    I live about 1.2 mi from the gym. I always feel like I should walk there and back so I can skip the cardio and go straight to weights (and avoid paying for parking).

The problem with the walk home, is well the hill home. It is actually up hill the entire way. With the last 4 blocks as the steepest portion.

I need more energy!

i think you did a fantastic job!!!! keep it up and before you know it you will be running up and down that hill! :drinker:
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    You walked to the gym and exercised. That's great. Taking the bus home is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm about the same distance from my gym and I've never tried walking it. Maybe now I'll give it a try.
  • jadedone
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I guess I'll need to cut down on my elliptical intervals to walk home ;)

There's always tomorrow. Then I'll tackle the really evil hill to the mini-grocery store (Think 4 blocks, 10% incline on the way home.)
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member

I need more energy!

I think you did an amazing job! Tomorrow try to walk to the gym, do you your workout and then drink your recovery shake while walking home, but only go a little bit of the way. Then take the bus home the rest of the way. Each day go a little further. You can do it!
  • You didn't wuss out, you did great!! Not only did you go to the gym, but you went the extra mile...literally. :laugh:
  • jadedone
    You didn't wuss out, you did great!! Not only did you go to the gym, but you went the extra mile...literally. :laugh:

LOL! Well this afternoon I intend to walk there and back. I had a much better lunch today. ;)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

I need more energy!

I think if you can walk back that far after your workout then you probably won't be working hard enough in the gym, especially if you are lifting.

The uphill walk there sounds a great idea. It's the equivalent of walking on an incline on the treadmill. Then when you get in the gym lift heavy, hard and go for it! Then take the bus home. You SHOULD be tired.

Edit: apologies the incline bit is on the way home right? Perhaps you could adopt a brisk walk there to up the intensity a bit...
  • You are going the right way. It takes patience. I bicycle, and there was this one hill that I had to pass to a place I liked to ride. That means a very long steep climb home. The first couple of times, I had to stop three times. Then two after a while. Then one time. After several months, I rode that hill five times this weekend before I got bored and rode home.
  • jadedone
    I walked to and from the gym today. :) Guess it was my crappy lunch on monday that tired me out. By the last block my inner thighs were dying......

So I still did cardio at the gym, I haven't cut it out yet. But maybe next week I'll power down the hill and get my heart pumping.
This discussion has been closed.