Okay.. so has anyone had this happen??

Options
I have had this issue for a while and then I thought.. let me see if anyone else had this happen.
At home I normally run about 3-4 days a week - sometimes interval sometimes distance sometimes speed (although not really that fast). So, a bit ago I was ramping up some training to increase my speed and my big toe got bruised, no biggie. Well it's been months and it seems like is spread and now the nail isn't really growing but there is a bump where the injury first started... I know sounds gross. Actually I have been able to keep it clean but the nail seems detached from the nail bed for half of it now...
Is this odd? :embarassed:

Replies

• TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue for a while and then I thought.. let me see if anyone else had this happen.
    At home I normally run about 3-4 days a week - sometimes interval sometimes distance sometimes speed (although not really that fast). So, a bit ago I was ramping up some training to increase my speed and my big toe got bruised, no biggie. Well it's been months and it seems like is spread and now the nail isn't really growing but there is a bump where the injury first started... I know sounds gross. Actually I have been able to keep it clean but the nail seems detached from the nail bed for half of it now...
    Is this odd? :embarassed:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of that so I tried looking up information. Some things to consider: Is there any discoloration, particularly of a yellowish color? This could indicate a fungal infection. Is it sore to the touch (not when stubbing it)? Is there healthy nail growing out from the bottom? Is it uncomfortable to wear shoes (thank goodness we're in sandal season)?

For infection and bruises, I know sometimes soaking in Epsom salt can help. But you might want to see if there is like a Minute Clinic or something like that (sometimes found in large pharmacy chains) where a nurse could look at it and make sure. It could be something as simple as an infection and cleared up with antibiotics.

Those are my two cents worth of information. Poor big toe. :cry: Hope it feels better soon.
  • Getroff
    Getroff Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there! A few people in my family have injured their toes before. I think what is happening to you is that your toe nail is gonna fall of from the injury. Don't worry though...a new one will grow. Also, it coule take a long time for it to fall off....a long time....but I wouldn't worry about that either...I've seen this many times before.

Hope this helps!
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ok I feel so much better now b/c mine do it too. The toes next to my big toes on each foot are like that. They look like someone hit them with a hammer. I talked to one of the trainers at my gym, he's a friend and he also runs with me and he said that it is b/c that is the toe that hits the ground first when I run so it gets all of the impact. I even bought new running shoes but it didn't seem to help. I have just resorted to pretty pink nail polish!!LOL:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • Rudy79
    Rudy79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me on the toe next to my big toe too!!! It is called "black toe". It is a condition that runners get. sometimes it can mean that your sneakers are too small. When you run your feet swell to one size bigger than your normal size. That toe gets bruised from all the friction in a shoe that is too small. I think my nail did fall off but it grows back quick...When it was bruised and the nail was still there I just always had my toe nails painted and no one ever knew
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Okay, you guys have just given me another excuse NOT to take up running.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't what happened to you, but it is something to consider. My toenail did the exact same thing after I had bumped it one night. It didn't really bother me, but then a couple of months later, it looked like it was detaching from the nail bed, etc. We went to the podiatrist and it turns out my bone had mutated because it had been jarred from getting bumped and had grown a little horn that was coming up through my nail bed. It was bizarre.

Just something to consider...
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cutoff your toe, itll grow back!:drinker:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    When I took a "learn to run" program through the running room they said that this was common with runners. That's why they suggest you wear a 1/2 size or even a full size bigger shoes than normal. That way your toes don't touch the tip of your shoes.

Look at it as your reward for working out so hard!! lol

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I do wear a size larger and a wide now, think at the time it happened I was only 1/2 a size larger and different brand. So, hopefully once it's done doing it "thing" I can get my toe nail back!! haha. Whew I wasn't alone!:blushing:
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Cutoff your toe, itll grow back!:drinker:

Only problem is I am not a coordinated person so could you imagine without my big toe.. might not be such a good plan for me but inspirational suggestion!!:tongue:
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    Wow, I was thinking about starting the couch to 5K program to start running......but now I'm not so sure!!! :huh:
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Wow, I was thinking about starting the couch to 5K program to start running......but now I'm not so sure!!! :huh:

Don't let this discourage you!! Just get fitted for some running shoes and honestly, it is cosmetic only. So, a little bruising to show my effort - kinda like stretch marks for having a kid.. battle wounds.