food allergy

Options
I am limited to foods without any dairy in them and whey protine makes my throat swell, So I'm wondering if that is going to effect my weight loss. I exercise everyday and I'm finding it harder to reach the minimum amount of calories per day, without any intake from dairy. Actually caring what I eat is making that hard too.

I have about 110 pounds to lose before I'll feel good in my own body again. Over the last 8 years I really let things go and was binge eating when I was bored or upset.

Everything started when I went from 110 pounds to 200 pounds in six months when I was about seventeen, because of a depression medication. I was so unhappy that I just let the problem get worse and worse. Now I am determined to turn this thing around. I want to be 110 pounds again but realize that weight is unlikely. I was a red/black belt in Tae Kwon Do and in really good shape. I am almost twenty five now and would be happy with 130- 140 pounds. I'd still be a little squishy but also curvy, and that weight is attainable. I hope I make it, and I hope every one else finds the determination I have. I wish the uncertainty and food allergy on no one.

Replies

• kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I am limited to foods without any dairy in them and whey protine makes my throat swell, So I'm wondering if that is going to effect my weight loss. I exercise everyday and I'm finding it harder to reach the minimum amount of calories per day, without any intake from dairy. Actually caring what I eat is making that hard too.
    My other half and I (I have lost 40 and he 110 lb), have a diet that is diary free (vegan actualy). Any protein deficit we get from rice or soy protein powders. My diary is open so you can see what we eat for examples.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If your having trouble meeting your minimum calories I would sugest drinking almond milk. When I am too far under my calories I just grab a cup of chocolate or vanilla flavored almond milk and that adds at least another 60 to 120 calories. The extra benifit is that it tastes like a real cheat since it is nutty, creamy and sweet.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Seems like being dairy-intolerant would be good for your diet, since cheese products (contrary to popular opinion) is mostly fat instead of protein. :)

As the others have mentioned soy and almond products can replace milk; almonds or pistachios can be a snack replacement for cheese - yeah they're fatty, but they have a lot of good nutritional benefits if you don't overdo it.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    first of all, i am sorry about your allergy. Dairy is kinda my favest and is also the reason why i can t shake off my excess weight (I really dig cheese). When I want to slim down I usually cut out dairy anyways.....
    With that being said, you actually have a one up on most people. Dairy is higher in fat , its harder to digest, and you are really better off with other kinds of protein and calcium. Your weight loss should actually be much easier. ;)

see below a good list of calcium rich foods:
    http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html

and here are some non dairy protein sources
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/281589-non-dairy-high-protein-foods/

also, almond milk is amazing.

Good luck!!!