Cycling?

jesshall281
jesshall281 Posts: 219
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone had any great results from cycling?...i manage around 15 minutes a day but this is because the area where i live is mainly uphill so my fitness level isn't quiet high enough to do more than 15 minutes uphill yet.

Would anyone know how long it will take me to start seeing results with cycling? of course combined with a calorie controlled diet :)

Replies

• arwsgirl
    arwsgirl Posts: 75 Member
    I'm also curious. I'm stuck on a stationary bike for now until I find a good road bike but I don't want to rush into a purchase like that. :0)
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    It will take a few weeks. You're really lucky to live in a hilly area. Be sure to get at least one rest day a week and mix up your workouts with easy, moderate, and hard rides.

I just finished a 12-week program from the book "Ride Your Way Lean". It helped me break a long-standing plateau and the workouts really helped improve my bike fitness. I would recommend it. They have three programs for people who want to lose weight--those with more than 35 lbs to lose, 15 - 35 lbs, and 5 - 15 lbs. There's also a suggested maintenance program.

HTH.

P.S. the programs will work with a stationary bike, too.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    When I was 464lbs I got my fat happy *kitten* on a bike and pedaled away, at least 30 minutes before hitting the weights. I dropped a ton of weight that way, down in to the 350's. I rarely use the cycle anymore, but always warm up with it for about 5 minutes.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    I don't know about specific programs, I usually just go out in the spring and start riding and increase the mileage gradually until I am going about 30 miles. I am going to try to get up to 50 this year. On a 30 mile ride I burn about 1000 calories.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    i manage around 15 minutes a day but this is because the area where i live is mainly uphill so my fitness level isn't quiet high enough to do more than 15 minutes uphill yet.

The thing is that it takes 15 minutes of riding to warm up and get your body into the aerobic phase of exercise. Cycling can be great exercise, but I think you need to spend more time on the bike. The hills will only make the workout harder. But if you keep doing them, you will feel your conditioning improve.
This discussion has been closed.