The Zumba Crew - February

Options

Replies

• my8kidsmom
    my8kidsmom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am Rachel, 34, 8 kids...my favorite food right now is yogurt, banana and a couple of tablespoon of grape nuts. I love Zumba of course :) My reward when I reach my weight goal to get certified to teach :)
  • pocha0704
    Options
    Hey everyone. Can one of you please tell me what you record Zumba as under exercise? Zumba is not an option. I have been just doing Dancing, General. I have been doing 2 videos for about 50 min and it say i burned about 328 calories. I am 5'7, 192lbs.

Thanks so much!
  • angeen
    Options
    Hi, I'm new as of today. I'm 35 & have a 1 year old. I've done the Zumba dvd's at home now for 2 weeks. I like it alot but just wondering when I am going to see results. I don't like onions, Does anyone want to share when they started seeing results & how much??
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Stephanie and I am a Zumba-holic! On a good week I attend about five Zumba classes. I'm the nerd in the front shakin' what my momma gave me! LOL I got two kids 7 y/o and 4y/o. My 4y/o little girl comes to Zumba with me sometimes on Fridays (they don't have child care that day) and she is hilarious and does her own moves!

Foods I hate.... hmmmm.... unfortunately I'm not very picky... as a self-professed sweet-a-holic... it's quite weird that I just don't like pastries.... I don't hate them... just don't care to eat them...
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Hi Zumba folks - I have a question -
    I have heard alot about Zumba.. but let me tell you.. i cant dance, have no rhythm... would I even be able to do it? I can barely follow the 5 minute aerobic warm up we do before weight lifting and spin classes LOL
    Send me a msg - I am sick and headin to bed and wont be able to hop on the dig through the thread :)

Thanks!!
  • beckysnook
    Options
    hi im becky age35 mom to 2 teenager girls and twin boys.... been addicted to zumba since august and have lost 26 lbs total....ten since joining this site! love love love zumba!!! and hate onions and mustard
  • Zumbafit
    Options
    Hey! I'm Kayla. A new mommy. Hate cheese. Been teaching Zumba for 2 years :)
  • mariposa222
    mariposa222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Tasha...certifiably addicted to Zumba as well, mostly thanks to Kayla (Zumbafit)! I have been a licensed Zumba instructor since February 2010, and I teach 2 classes. I've lost 40+ lbs since starting Zumba in September 2009, and more than a FOOT from my waist. Most of my friends are now addicted too!

My most hated food list is short...liver, beets, and any kind of soggy bread. Blecccch.
  • fadingsecret
    Options
    hiya,

i never knew zumba was such a big thing until 24hours ago. I have my first ever class tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited, a bit worried that I wont be wearing the right stuff but who cares aye???? it's my first time!!! I hope i like it, i love all the MTV dance dvds and fingers crossed this will be even better!
    BTW I'm tina and i hate beetroot and broccoli and parsnips.
    Xxx
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I decided to do Zumba for the whole month of February and no other exercise to see how much I lose. I'm not weighing myself till March 1st so I can't wait to see the results!
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Options
    HI

I'm Verity, have been doing Zumba for a few weeks and......................now I think I'm ready for the Pusscat Dolls (not! but love it anyhow).
    Dislikes, can't stand McDonalds.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's going to be a Zumba Wii day...schools closed & that means I won't probably make the gym for my first BodyPump class...aw shucks! I was too scared of that one anyway :noway:
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I did my first live Zumba class yesterday and I wasn't very happy with it. I don't think that Rude Boy is a suitable Zumba song, but maybe that's just me. I'm sure the instructor had a lot to do with it, but I enjoy it much more on the game at home. I receive some kind of feedback (no feedback in class) and I think I just feel more free to really shake it when I'm alone and not surrounded by mirrors!

I think it's like when someone reads the book before it comes out as a movie -- no one ever says the movie was better! Maybe if I did the classes first, I'd enjoy them more. Glad I didn't commit to the fees (had a free week pass).
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    I did my first live Zumba class yesterday and I wasn't very happy with it. I don't think that Rude Boy is a suitable Zumba song, but maybe that's just me. I'm sure the instructor had a lot to do with it, but I enjoy it much more on the game at home. I receive some kind of feedback (no feedback in class) and I think I just feel more free to really shake it when I'm alone and not surrounded by mirrors!

I think it's like when someone reads the book before it comes out as a movie -- no one ever says the movie was better! Maybe if I did the classes first, I'd enjoy them more. Glad I didn't commit to the fees (had a free week pass).

The beat of Rude Boy is a suitable song, but perhaps the words aren't. If you are offended by them then speak to the instructor. She or he can remove that song the next time.
  • scagneti
    Options

The beat of Rude Boy is a suitable song, but perhaps the words aren't. If you are offended by them then speak to the instructor. She or he can remove that song the next time.

No sorry, I'm not offended by the lyrics. They have a seperate Hip Hop class, and the moves she was doing for Zumba were clearly lifted from the Hip Hop class. Personally I think that they're two different styles of dancing, and if that's wrong, then that's just my opinion. Standing for two minutes doing pelvic thrusts wasn't really what I thought I had signed up for. I could do that standing in the bathroom at work. I signed up for Zumba because I wanted to dance and sweat and burn calories.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

No sorry, I'm not offended by the lyrics. They have a seperate Hip Hop class, and the moves she was doing for Zumba were clearly lifted from the Hip Hop class. Personally I think that they're two different styles of dancing, and if that's wrong, then that's just my opinion. Standing for two minutes doing pelvic thrusts wasn't really what I thought I had signed up for. I could do that standing in the bathroom at work. I signed up for Zumba because I wanted to dance and sweat and burn calories.

Unfortunately hip hop steals a lot of their moves from other styles. So what you might consider to be hip hop can be a number of different styles. I've seen alot of them in Zumba, Bollywood, African....the list goes on.

You are not wrong to have your opinion but pelvic thrust are excellent for your abs if you are tightened them at the time.

I guess she didn't mix it up enough. Maybe she is a new instructor with limit knowledge on the dance style.
  • scagneti
    Options

Unfortunately hip hop steals a lot of their moves from other styles. So what you might consider to be hip hop can be a number of different styles. I've seen alot of them in Zumba, Bollywood, African....the list goes on.

You are not wrong to have your opinion but pelvic thrust are excellent for your abs if you are tightened them at the time.

I guess she didn't mix it up enough. Maybe she is a new instructor with limit knowledge on the dance style.

Yes, I do think that she was new. I expected one playlist to go for the entire hour (with a few seconds between songs), not her running over at the end of EVERY song while she took a minute or so to find the next song that she wanted to play (sometimes we'd have the start of two or three songs before she got one she wanted). That seems unprofessional to me.

Sadly this was my first live class, so when you have a negative experience, you tend to remember that. I know not all classes would be the same (obviously), but from MY experience, I had a lot more fun and got a lot more out of the class on the Wii than a live class.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

Yes, I do think that she was new. I expected one playlist to go for the entire hour (with a few seconds between songs), not her running over at the end of EVERY song while she took a minute or so to find the next song that she wanted to play (sometimes we'd have the start of two or three songs before she got one she wanted). That seems unprofessional to me.

Sadly this was my first live class, so when you have a negative experience, you tend to remember that. I know not all classes would be the same (obviously), but from MY experience, I had a lot more fun and got a lot more out of the class on the Wii than a live class.

Oh I would have been heated. You are losing your burn just standing there. She should have had a mix tape already set. She needs help lol I want to take a live class but ummm your experience has me questioning that thought now. I've been doing well with Zumba Fitness also.
  • pmcooper
    Options
    I'm new to this crew...but i love Zumba and I'm completely addicted. Have been doing Zumba for just about a year, and as I tell my instructor, it truly gave me my life back....lost 15 pounds without trying, and for 2011 I'm trying to get the last 10 off...proving to be a bit more difficult. But i will keep up Zumba...I'll be curious to hear what folks think about the new collaboration between Curves and Zumba...thinking about doing this as well. Thoughts? Experiences?
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    scagneti, I am with Desirai that you must have gotten a new gal, because I would never have a class where I run to the stereo after every song! I hate that you had a bad experience.
    We do SOME hiphop in our class, but they make it very clear in Zumba instructor training that you are to do a certain percentage of hiphop/latin/reggaeton moves per class (for example, try to get several styles in one class, and don't let one style dominate the entire hour) so you will definitely find hiphop in most all zumba classes thought it shouldn't be more than a song or 2.