Weight loss and then gain! :(

Options
So I have been on MFP for 10days, I felt I was doing great and lost 3lbs in the first week. However weighed myself today and gained 2lbs back, no idea why. I stayed right around my calories intake level, no soda for those 10days! Just water, coffee, tea, and Crystal light. Anyone know why this could be happening. I will not give up though until I loose 40lbs!!! I CAN DO IT!!!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    The first week on any new fitness routine takes a while for your body to adjust. The first 3 lbs were probably water weight (maybe some fat). Just be patient and the pounds will come off, remember it took a while to put them off and it will naturally take a while for them to come off. Good luck!
  • paulettac
    Options
    Could be water weight. I've done the same thing before.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    a fluctuation like that isnt a big deal is ya ask me
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I lost 5 lbs the first week, continued to week two doing the exact same thing but gained like 4.6 of it back. So frustrating! I'm going to chalk it up to my body adjusting to the new lifestyle. I think it lost weight so fast it decided it wanted to retain water and ...other things. Also, I think I was drinking too much water. I was drinking at least 16 cups a day and I think it may have just been too much. Yesterday, I did nothing different except take a fiber supplement (I was getting enough fiber, but this pushed it over the edge) and drink less water and this morning when I weighed in I was 3 lbs lighter than yesterday.

The body is a mysterious machine, sometimes it just needs some time to settle in. The weight should come back off before too long as long as you stick with the diet and exercise. If it doesn't come off or you gain more after another couple of weeks, I'd make an appointment with the doctor just to be safe.
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged everyone sees weight flucuations, i can bounce around by 2 lbs any given day and the next day back to normal.
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    I yoyo up and down as well, I take those days when I go back up as motivation to work out more or a little harder keeping up on my food calorie intake. Don't be discouraged, the long hall is what you’re in for, not the daily changes! You can do it; it will keep coming off as long as you stick to your goal.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I had (ok, am still having) the same problem. Everyone keeps saying it will go back down (I was irrationally close to tears about it last week), so I'm just hoping they're right! lol. Theoretically, if you're eating right and exercising (hell, supposedly just eating right should do it) the weight will come off--with a calorie deficit it has to, mathematically, unless there's something else going on (or you just have no weight left to lose, but if you're on this site that's not likely to be the case, lol!). Just keep with it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I definitely would not worry about it. You have to have peace in knowing that you are eating right and exercising, and that is all that really matters. The scale will show results eventually, just keep logging it down.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All your support and answers to my question are very helpful!
  • kim0913
    Options
    Measure, measure, measure!!! My weight fluctuates alot but I keep my measurements and keep showing improvement in that area.......:)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I wrote on my office calendar on each Monday what I felt my "anticipated" weight would be if I lost an average of 2 pounds per week. I then worked at my diet and exercise for months, trying to figure out how to live healtheir. About mid July I had a number of weeks that I didn't lose anything, or very little, and became discouraged.
    I decided to pull out the calendar to see where I thought I would be by this time . . . to my surprise I was the exact weight that I had anticipated I would be months prior!

Some weeks you lose a lot, some barely, some nothing . . . if you continue to be dedicated to your health it will all average out and before you know it you will look back and realize that 20 pounds (or more) is gone!

When you first start out it is a good idea to put your scale away. It can be hard on your motivation if it doesn't read what you want (or expect). I actually put mine in the garage for a while until the number on the scale no longer ruled my emotions.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Great idea, I just bought the scale when I started MFP but have been weighting myself everyday (probably a bad Idea!) but I will now only weight myself once a week and hopefully will be surprised by the results I see! :) Again thanks everyone! Looking at all the numbers on weights that your post show that you have lost I know I can do this, because you have too!!! :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If you've just started drinking lots of water there is something I call the camel effect. Basically most people don't drink enough so as soon as you start you cells become rehydrated and retain it. Don't worry.this is a GOOD thing. It means you're now getting enough fluid to enable weight loss.
    Contrary to the other poster you shouldn't stop drinking water you should carry on. Water is vital for processing the nutrients in your food properly (not to mention it's important for just about everything your body does) and will actually make you feel and look better.

If it's not that, don't worry, it happens. My weight goes up and down all the time. Only the good thing is if I look back there are more downs than ups. Isn't that what we want in the end?

The only other reason is the time of day you weighed yourself might be a factor.
    Only weigh yourself first thing in the morning after using the toilet and with no clothes on. Then you're weighing your actually body weight and not clothes/food/water you've consumed.
  • TeddyCharlton
    TeddyCharlton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Me too! so glad you wrote, as I have not logged my weight, just caloric intake. uuhhg!
  • randibiernot
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me. Lost 5 pounds after 3 weeks. And then somehow gained them back in 1 day. Discouraging.