Calculating Lbs of Body Fat for Realistic Goals

Options
I had to do this for my p.e. class but it's pretty cool.

If you know your Body fat % take that and multiply it by your weight and you get your lbs of fat.

Example: 24% multiplied by 146 = 35 lbs. of fat.

Then subtract that # from your weight which is your lean body mass (aka bone, organs, muscle, ect.)

Example: 35-146=111

So if you look at it that way I should never be in the teens because that would be far too low and it would mean I would have lost muscle (not to mention I would probably be skeletal looking).

Just thought it was helpful to reevaluate what a good goal is.

Replies

• sneakers71
    Options
    my number is 92. what does that mean?
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    You should get 2 numbers one for the lbs of body fat you have and one for you Lean Body Mass...I'm not sure which one but 92 would either be your lbs of fat or your LBM.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I'm at 26% body fat, so 37.70 lbs of fat (eww!), so that means that my bones and stuff is 107, so my goal of 120ish is unreasonable (12-13% body fat would be way too low.) Looks like I should shoot for closer to 125-130 since I'd want to stay around 20%.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I suspect this is your lean body mass / fat free mass given your current weight.

This is the amount everything but the fat you have on your body weighs at this point in time.

Hypothetically if you were to slim down to 92 lbs and that all came from fat you would have 0% fat in your body. That would be a disaster and you would have shuffled off this mortal coil. Why? Because 8 -12% BF is considered essential for survival in women.

To get the weight you need to aim for by a certain BF goal do this. Take the difference between your current BF and the amount you want to be and divide it by 100. Then multiply that figure by your current weight. That is how much body fat you need to lose to acheive your goal.

For example: say you are curently 25% BF. You want to be 20%. That is a difference of 5. Dvide that 100 to give 0.05.

If you weigh 150 lbs. 150lbs x 0.05 = 7.5lbs to go...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Double post
  • sneakers71
    Options
    Thank you that helps! it means I have 8 pounds to go!