Help with serving size

Options
I bought a frozen pizza to make for dinner tonight(cheese yum yums) anywho..the serving size says 1/5th of pizza is 270 calories...how big of a slice would that be lol. Is that bigger than 1/8th? Im bad with math lol

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I bought a frozen pizza to make for dinner tonight(cheese yum yums) anywho..the serving size says 1/5th of pizza is 270 calories...how big of a slice would that be lol. Is that bigger than 1/8th? Im bad with math lol

Yes, 1/5th is bigger than 1/8th:smile:

It just means that you'd have to find a way to cut the pizza in 5 equal slices, or you can multiple the total calories by 5 and that would be if you ate the whole pizza (not recommended!) and divide by the number of portions to have (either a 3rd, 8th, half, etc.)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Easiest way is to make 5 equal cuts (all the way across the pizza). Then a serving is 2 slices (out of 10).
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    cut your pizza into 5 equal size slices and each will = 1/5th *S*

*hint* weigh it if you have scales.. then divide weight by 5.. then keep cutting enough til you've cut off the 1/5 that equals a serving *S* easier and more accurate than trying to eyeball the size
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You have to divide your pizza in 5 equal slices....1 slice is 270 calories
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Same here friend. What I usually do to avoid awkward fractions is change the serving in MFP to the whole pizza and then take the fraction I actually cut the pizza into.

So.... if I sliced my pizza into 8 slices I would choose 1/8 for every slice I ate (or 1/4 if I eat two slices and so on and so on). Even numbers are easier.

Obviously, if you have to add the pizza to MFP yourself- multiply one serving by 5 to get the total, and then divide at will.

That sounds confusing, but I hope it helps. Cutting a pizza into an odd number of slices (5) is really hard for me.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When using fractions the smaller the bottom number the bigger the size. Like 1/4 is smaller then 1/2. So 1/8 is smaller then 1/5. Hope that helps.

4042605.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1/5th is bigger than 1/8th:smile:

Sweet jesus! yay more pizza lol
  • kitchentales
    Options
    I do what others have already said - change the serving size to the whole pizza, and put in how much of it I ate. So if I ate a quarter of it, 0.25 is my serving size.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    If 1/5 of the pizza as 270 cals, then the whole pizza has 1350 cals (270 x 5 = 1350). So you can cut it into 1/8 slices like a normal pizza, and each 1/8 slice would have about 169 cals (1350 / 8 = 168.75). I figure it's easier to cut it into 1/8 slices than to try to do equal 1/5 slices.
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI: 1/8 slice is 168.75 cals. :o)

270 x 5 = 1350

So, 1350 divided by the normal 8 slices = 168.75.

That makes it a little easier if you look at it like that... and it makes cutting your pizza easier :o)
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Easiest way is to make 5 equal cuts (all the way across the pizza). Then a serving is 2 slices (out of 10).

^^agree^^ 5 cuts will make 10 slices