Advice for weight training & toning

Options
So this weekend I bought a 5lb dumbell to tone my arms - I have two things I know to do (bicep curl and tricep extension), but how often should I do this? I'm using a small weight a) because I'm just starting out and b) because I want to tone, not get that female bodybuilder look. Any other things I should do? (My focus is upper arm because that's where all the fat is.)

Also, I was hoping to tone my tummy and love handles - suggestions? I know sit-ups, crunchies, and side crunchies. Anything else I can be doing? And again, how often? I know generally you can't work on the same thing every day, you need to rest your muscles and let them rebuild.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    best exercises for toning are high rep with less than 30 sec rest between sets so 3 sets of 12-15 reps of
    curls
    bench
    flys
    over head press
    and really anything will help
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You should buy SHAPE and/or SELF magazines. They have exercise routines in every issue.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Checkout this link http://realwomensfitness.com/upper-body-exercises/top-5-arm-toning-exercises/

These seem to use dumbbells. As far as how many start of with 3 reps of 12-15 for each excercise.

Best of luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You won't get 'that female body builder' look lifting heavy weights. That is a complete and total myth. You would have to eat mass amounts of calories, protein, lift weights hours and hours a day and TAKE TESTOSTERONE PILLS to look like a female body builder. Our bodies are not designed to bulk up. It is testosterone in men that causes helps them bulk up.

Look into Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones. She uses 3 pounds weights and she works every problem area (muffin top, saddle bags, flabby arms, abs, etc). You can find the DVD for about $9-$10 at Target, Walmart, Amazon. Places like that. She will kick your butt! And you can do the entire DVD or break it down into the different circuits

I use this DVD every Mon, Wed, and Fri. I work the same muscles on those days. Think about it - if you work one muscle gropu one day and then another the next day and another the next day - each group will get one workout a week and that won't do much. She will work you from head to toes. On other days I do cardio - that's for calorie burn to help shed the fat off those problem areas. When it starts to get too easy I will increase the weight (I have 5-lb. and 8-lb waiting in wings).
  • kitchentales
    Options
    You won't get 'that female body builder' look lifting heavy weights. That is a complete and total myth. You would have to eat mass amounts of calories, protein, lift weights hours and hours a day and TAKE TESTOSTERONE PILLS to look like a female body builder. Our bodies are not designed to bulk up. It is testosterone in men that causes helps them bulk up.

Look into Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones. She uses 3 pounds weights and she works every problem area (muffin top, saddle bags, flabby arms, abs, etc). You can find the DVD for about $9-$10 at Target, Walmart, Amazon. Places like that. She will kick your butt! And you can do the entire DVD or break it down into the different circuits

I use this DVD every Mon, Wed, and Fri. I work the same muscles on those days. Think about it - if you work one muscle gropu one day and then another the next day and another the next day - each group will get one workout a week and that won't do much. She will work you from head to toes. On other days I do cardio - that's for calorie burn to help shed the fat off those problem areas. When it starts to get too easy I will increase the weight (I have 5-lb. and 8-lb waiting in wings).

Thanks! I'll look into the DVD for sure!

And thanks for the info about the "female bodybuilder look." I know I'd have to do a LOT to look like that (which I don't want), but I'm just going off of what I was told - use smaller weights to tone, bigger weights to build muscle. Also, I can only lift the bigger weights once and then I'm totally dead, haha.

Thanks to everyone else as well! I'll look into the magazine, and that website. Can't wait to get home now and try a new exercise out!