ROM 4 min Cross trainer

BecciL
BecciL Posts: 49
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I used this today at my Gym does anyone know how I should log the calories ? I did 4 minutes I am 143 pounds
I also did the step ups located on the back of the machine

Here is the link of the machine
http://www.fastexercise.com/

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    probably 7-12 calories/minute so for 4 min somewhere between 28 and 48 calories
  • I don't know about the calorie question - but I am curious: was it fun? did it feel like your muscles were getting a good workout?

Thanks!
  • BecciL

really that's it ?? I thought it was supposed to do about the same as a 20 minute work out ,that's what the pitch is for the machine ..
    Blech
  • BecciL
    I don't know about the calorie question - but I am curious: was it fun? did it feel like your muscles were getting a good workout?

Thanks!

It was scary at first It took me about a week of stare downs to actually climb aboard the beast and do it , but I liked it, Its like getting on a carnival ride LOL, and YOU can tell it really does a work out !! If you have one in your gym or have the opportunity , I would suggest you at least try it =)
  • I will give it a try if I ever see one. My local gym doesn't have one. :-(

There's an interesting read about the calorie burn from the ROM Machine here:

http://www.fastexercise.com/QandA.asp#2

Wow!
  • BecciL
    I will give it a try if I ever see one. My local gym doesn't have one. :-(

There's an interesting read about the calorie burn from the ROM Machine here:

http://www.fastexercise.com/QandA.asp#2

Wow!

As the day has progressed I have gotten more sore !! I actually had to take some Ibuprofen to ease my muscles ! LOL

I did read that about the calories, I am not sure how to log it , Maybe I just wont , Not sure if it will make a difference, I still am keeping on track with eating and so fourth , so for now I would say that was the best 4 min I have had since I started working out !! LOL
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

really that's it ?? I thought it was supposed to do about the same as a 20 minute work out ,that's what the pitch is for the machine ..
    Blech

Yes, that's the "pitch".

As "proof", they publish a number of studies having to do with HIIT--high intensity interval training (NONE of which have anything to do with the ROM machine itself). They also publish one study which investigated the ROM machine itself.

16 untrained men did 8 wks of training, 3 days a week on the ROM. They actually did a total of 8 minutes (4 min upper, 4 min lower)--twice the recommended amount of work.

They advertised "significant" improvement in VO2max and Max Workload ( in watts). But lets look at the actual numbers.

Avg VO2 max increased from 39.6 ml/kg/min to 41 mi/kg/min. That's right--after 8 weeks, a whopping 3.5% increase.

Avg Wmax increased from 248 watts to 272 watts: a little better at 11.5%

The fact is that those are extremely low results compared to traditional exercise modalities. Normally you can take an untrained person and put them on almost any kind of activity and see at least a 15%-20% increase in VO2max.

I've seen this machine before and always thought it was a scam. Interesting that they would put the proof on their own website.
  • BecciL
    Hmmm Interesting, it is unfortunate , that my gym purchased that , ( I am not sure how long ago) but it has a pretty large price tag !!!
This discussion has been closed.