When does it start feeling normal??

Options
Just curious as to when the healthy choices in eating and exercise began to feel like "the norm" for everyone? I remember when I quit smoking, there were milestones like the 1st day of hell, the 3rd day when the nicotine and other junk were clearing out, and so on. With each milestone, I'd feel a little stronger and a little more normal. I also remember being convinced that I'd never be able to go to a party or sit on my patio and enjoy myself EVER again...of course, nothing could be further from reality, but that's kind of what this new lifestyle feels like. When did you stop feeling like you were "dieting" and start feeling like this was a regular part of your day-to-day? I just can't seem to get to that first milestone that renews my determination...

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet...it's been 4 months
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I've been at it since August. Your tastebuds know what tastes sugary and chocolatey. They just do. BUT your brain knows what is healthy. It is a constant struggle.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how drastic your changes are. For me, this already feels pretty normal and I've only been at it for about 3 weeks. But I'm not needing to make huge changes, and the ones I am making are already showing me huge results in my energy level and mood. So it's not been hard for me. If you're drastically changing your habits though, it might take longer. I think it really depends.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew...I think it's different for everyone! I am not there yet either :(
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    30-90 days if your consistant with eating healthy and exercising
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this today. I started May 31. I will always have to log my food...there is no doubt as I have Serving Size Distortion (SSD in the clinical world...lol!) but I think if I stopped today the habits I've formed since May would carry me somewhat.
  • BecciL
    BecciL Posts: 49
    Options
    I felt it as soon as I accepted this as a way of life, it is all mental , CHOOSE to know you are creating a good healthy enviroment for your life and your body,
    It is all in your mind body and soul ..
    BE YOUR CHANGE
    Good luck !
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    It's been almost a month for me, and I haven't reached it yet either. I guess when I hit my goal weight, and want to keep my weight the same, then it'll probably seem more "normal" then. But what is normal? ;]
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a diet. I call it a new lifestyle - something I needed to do to get healthy so I can enjoy my 40's, 50's, 60's and so on (hopefully!) I don't know if I will ever get used to it.
  • Janell33years
    Options
    oh i so relate to u today... i eat all the right things... drink the water ... but I never fill full... i miss that aaaaaaawwwwww now i am full feeling... instead i watch the clock so i can eat again.. :(
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I imagine it's a choice EVERY DAY for a lot of people, that's why so many people fall off the wagon. They are tired of choosing what may not come naturally.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I started this site in January of 2010. That whole year was hard for me to change. I found myself doing one or the other. I'd eat right for a week but not exercise, then I'd exercise for a week but eat like crap. Once this year started, my thought processes kind of did a 180. I had this feeling that I'd never had before like I was worth it. In order for me to get to my goal and become healthier, I had to do things I loved. I live in a teeny tiny town that has nothing to offer, but the town I work in has a zumba class 3 days a week. I get to go 1 maybe 2x a week, and I'm in heaven. Now, I know that exercise is also an acquired love. I set my mind to running a 5K in May. I'm NOT.A. RUNNER. But I'm becoming one. I have this motivation to accomplish something I never saw possible. Completely reframe your thinking. What have you never tried but always wanted to. See once if the motivation solves itself!! Good luck to you. It will come!
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am starting to get there. I now look at foods I used to eat and cringe at them. I think that is when you know you are getting there.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Took me about 2 months (so a couple of weeks ago). It definitely was more gradual, than overnight. I think you just have to find things that not only work for you - but genuinely make you happy. If you feel like you're dieting, you might not stick to it. Just make smarter choices, swap junk foods for less junky foods and work your way up to healthy super-foods. Once your body starts feeling the difference from getting adequate nutrition and burning fat, your new lifestyle will itself become a healthy addiction. At least that's what I'm feeling right now.

Good luck, hang in there!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I felt it as soon as I accepted this as a way of life, it is all mental , CHOOSE to know you are creating a good healthy enviroment for your life and your body,
    It is all in your mind body and soul ..
    BE YOUR CHANGE
    Good luck !
    LIKE! :happy:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I actually felt my first "milestone" a couple of weeks in. I was following the meal planner that came with Power 90 and I remember being surprised that I wasn't starving or feeling deprived. I then took it a step further and began preparing foods that fit into the top three tiers of Michi's Ladder. I was again surprised that I could make "normal" food in a much healthier way. Lastly I realized that I couldn't always live in my "food bubble" so I began cautiously eating out with co-workers and found that choosing the healthier option got easier each time. I've been doing this 5 months now and have considered this my new normal for at least the last 3. Good luck :)
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I've started noticing that I make concious choices more often already and I've only been here 3 weeks. Honestly we all KNOW what is a better choice over a poor choice - when I went to Curves they had a speaker come in. I believe he said that it takes a full 3 months before something becomes a "habit".

Making a concious effort is hard - I am a grab n gobble type of person.
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm working hard on trying to live 'normally' while losing weight this time around. I don't want to fall back into the deprivation / binge cycle.
    Some things are working - after a month - it no longer feels 'normal' to go do the deli for a snack of chips and banana bread, because I have fruit and/or yogurt from home.

Baby steps. :happy:
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think when you go to the grocery store and for the first time without thinking you have no junk food when you get to the check out :)
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think it will always need to be a focus otherwise I tend to sneak back to my unhealthier choices. What i have noticed is this is a lifestyle change. Eatting healthy is a challenge because I love junk. But exercising has become a way of life and the benefits are invaluable. When I am logging consistently I eat healthier, exercise more and make better choices. Because over time one thing that I noticed is that when I put healthier items in my body, I get more out of my workouts and my body is not as soar later. MFP has taught me a lot about the choices I make and how they affect me.
    That being said, I don't know that it will ever be natural to pass up treats all the time. Give yourself a break, try to find some of the positive changes that you've made and how they are improving your life. That makes it easier to committ to this kind of a lifestyle change:flowerforyou: