toes go numb when exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Holy cow -- I thought I was the only one... thanks for the insights, folks!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    this used to happen to me and it turns out that not only were the shoes i was using too small but they were also being laced too tightly.

the shoes i had been using are my street shoe size. but when you are exercising you need to make sure there is room for the foot to swell (cause it will). I went to a store where they measured my foot properly, looked at my gait, and found a good shoe for my arch. (this didnt cost anything by the way)

i would really recommend taking the time to go have that done. you certainly wont regret it and they can answer any other questions you may have.

hope that helps!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    i recently got a sole e35 and read where it is the positioning of your foot on the pedals that causes your feet to 'fall asleep'. if you have an elliptical where you can tilt your pedals either forward or backward, that is supposed to help.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    my toes on my right foot sometimes goes numb when using the elliptical or bike.
    I have since loosened my laces.......which has helped :smile:
  • kimpaige12
    Options
    Mine also go numb. I have tried different shoes and it happens anyways. I was asking my friend if hers go numb and hers do also. So this counts and two votes for numb toeseys. It takes me a few minutes to really walk when I get off the machine also...I haven't fallen yet but I'm waiting for that day. WIll probably be when it's packed with hot guys and all the girls I hated in high school.
  • purplelady1954
    Options
    Let us know what your doctor says. I also have the same problem. I just keep going until I'm done but it does bother me.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem my whole life. I experienced it as a child when water skiing and also as a teenager when running track and snow skiing. I have just learned to live with it. For me it is not painful but happens more on the elliptical than on the treadmill. It must have to do with gait and how our feet/toes strike. I just bought a new pair of running shoes (Asic Gels) but I have to have a shoe with a big toe box and I usually end up buying Adidas shoes. I also have a really high arch and these brands seem to be the most comfortable. I would love to go to a true running store and get my stride/gait assessed to really determine what I should be wearing. Im running a 5k in the spring ......maybe this should be a reward for a met goal,,hmmmm.....
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    This happens to me as well, but only when I'm on the elliptical - never when I'm doing any other cardio or machines. I think it's just because you aren't lifting your feet like you do with most other exercises - there's constant pressure on the bottom of your feet. Whe I feel them start to go tingly I just start lifting my feet off of the pedals slightly whe I'm on the upstroke and the feeling comes back.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have noticed on the eliptical my toes go numb as well. I found myself putting more of my weight on the toe area rather than my heels, so I wonder if this is what you may be doing as well. I had to concentrate on putting more weight on my heels and it seemed to work.
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    I had this happen, especially when I used to do spin class. I started using a foam roller on my muscles that were tight in my legs and it has totally gone away. I love foam rollers and stand by them :)
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replys! I don't know if it's because my shoes are too small (which I think they are) because it's only the left foot. Wouldn't it be both? When I am not wearing shoes and just walking around the house it does it sometimes too. Or walking at work. When I get cold it does it too. I think I will try getting new shoes and see the dr. to make sure it's not sciatica or something like that. Thanks for the suggestions! Glad to see I'm not the only one! I was kinda freaking out about it today, so you guys really helped me out!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Are you taking in enough iron? Circulation issue.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too.
    Not new shoes.
    Always happens after about 7 or 8 minutes running and the same on the cross trainer.
    Wears off though after a bit.
    Almost feels like my toe nails are too long!
    Had the shoes measured and fitted etc and had a gait assessment so it's not my shoes.
    Weird
  • nwright270
    nwright270 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could be shoes. My right foot used to go numb sometimes while on the treadmill. I finally went and got fitted for shoes and found out I over pronate when I walk. I had to pay $100 for the shoes but it was totally worth it. My lower legs would normall feel like they were on fire but since I got my new shoes, I don't have that problem.