Not trying to be lazy....but...

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I realized how important it is to take it easy when you did something while working out!

I pulled something in my leg awhile ago. It went away after I exercised it "mildly", then came back again after I worked it out a little too hard. I have been lightly stretching it the past few days (doing some yoga) and it's feeling better each and every day.

I really want to start working out again, but there's a few nagging things I'm trying to let completely heal before I get back into it again. I think it's the smart thing to do. I was going to start up a new program, but I thought I better just lay off for a little while longer. In the meantime, I'm just going to focus on some yoga :)

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Listen to your body. It knows what it is talking about! lol
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    My sciatic nerve used to act up and give me crazy problems when I would work out too hard (and do certain exercises) for the last two years, I've gotten a deep tissue sports massage every 6 months and it has done wonders!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    I pulled a groin muscle 1 1/2 years ago and got back into my routine too quickly and agrivated it badly again. I have continued to have twinges here and there if I make certain movements (ie. take too big of a step and "pull" it a bit) so now wish that I would have just taken it easy to allow it to heal properly.
    Especially as you age, which Im coming to terms with, it takes longer to heal and it is easy to reaggrivate an injury.

Be patient with yourself . . . you are not lazy . . . and let your body heal before jumping back in.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Just do exercises that your body can handle. Pulling a muscle in your leg means you may have overexerted it during a workout routine. If it's a muscle cramp, you may have a sodium or potassium deficit. Sports drinks are beneficial to physical activity in that way.

In the meantime, stretching and yoga should help.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Yoga has done wonders, not only in flexibility, relaxing my muscles, but clearing my mind. I bought this cheap little yoga book on sale for like $10. It has a bunch of quick routines and poses, as well as lengthy routines. It's awesome!
  • Don't stop exercising completely, instead do light exercises that you are able to handle. Listen to your body, but don't let it stop you :)
This discussion has been closed.