Been here but just set up profile

randimockensturm
randimockensturm Posts: 49 Member
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
I have been logging info for a while, but did not realize how extensive the networking and blogging were on this site. It is good to see all this support here. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me which exercises are best for weight loss cario or resistance. I have been doing cardio for 2 months now and have actually put on 2 lbs! I have a calorie consumption of 1200-1300 so in my estimation I should be losing weight NOT GAINING! I'm quite frustrated. I just dished out $$ last night for a personal trainer to see if he can help.

Replies

• randimockensturm
    I have been logging info for a while, but did not realize how extensive the networking and blogging were on this site. It is good to see all this support here. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me which exercises are best for weight loss cario or resistance. I have been doing cardio for 2 months now and have actually put on 2 lbs! I have a calorie consumption of 1200-1300 so in my estimation I should be losing weight NOT GAINING! I'm quite frustrated. I just dished out $$ last night for a personal trainer to see if he can help.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Sounds like you're committed now! :happy:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Make sure you are eating all your exercise calories. Otherwise you could be putting yourself in starvation mode. Good luck with the trainer, I am sure they will help you get headed in the right direction!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Greetings!

That's fab that you hired a personal trainer...they will steer you right...they'll probably have you incorporate some weight training along with your cardio routines.

Please let us know how it goes!
  • jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    Not to discourage you but when I first started working out, it was over 3 months before I lost any weight. I could definitely see changes (muscles, inches lost, etc.) and my clothes fit looser but I didn't lose any weight for quite some time. Don't worry. Your body is changing for the better. The scale just doesn't show it yet. Keep it up!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    there are number of things possible happening to you:

1) Exchaning fat for muscle
    2) Water retention / medical
    3) Calculations made when you first joined the site.

You indicate that you eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day and exercise. When you entered the site initially did you enter your daily activity level and exercise regimine you intended to do or that you were actually doing?

Are you eating to the exercise level of calories recommended by MFP?

If you entered an active life style that reflects your current exercise activity when you first joined MFP then you were given a certain calorie intake to consume to lose whatever weight you were looking to do. However, I've found that MFP calculates, for a second time, the exercise you enter into the log as bonus calories (I believe it assumes you didn't calculate this info when you joined). Many, like myself, found that eating the base calories and the bonus calories caused us to gain and not lose weight.

I personally opted to just eat to the base level of calories and skip the bonus calories and I've been on track losing weight and getting in shape in a healthy manner.

Having said all this it's wise to monitor yourself using bio-feed back (listening to what your body tells you) and to consult your doctor -- and in your case now the trainer. But always remember to follow your instincts about what is healthy and safe for you.
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    This may be a dumb ? but are you weighing and/or measuring your foods? I know my eye and the measuring cup weren't even close. :noway:

I agree with rheston:
    I personally opted to just eat to the base level of calories and skip the bonus calories and I've been on track losing weight and getting in shape in a healthy manner.

24167.png
  • Deeders
    Deeders Posts: 17
    Hi Mom
  • randimockensturm
    thank you all of you for your valuable input. I certainly have some things to think about. The trainer said that my Basic metabolic rate is probably much lower than I originally predicted. I have week two with the trainer starting today. He just did an evaluation last week and I was sore just from the short eval! I'm fearing today!!! Getting old just is for the dogs!!
  • high fives to your better judgment!

may the wind be at your back on this journey.
This discussion has been closed.