HIIT on the Elliptical

gracienkaidens_momma
gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
How do you do HIIT on the elliptical? I don't have a treadmill.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    There are various routines. Find one you like and apply it to the elliptical by increasing/decreasing the speed or resistance to create higher and lower intensities.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Easy....

Same as treadmill

You can try this basic approach.....

- warm up for five minutes
    - One Round: Do 1 minute as hard as you can ( on a scale of 1-10....shoot for a level 9 or 10 ). Then recover at a moderate pace (a level 6-7 intensity) for 2 minutes. So, ' One Round ' is 3 minutes long.
    - Cool down for five minutes.

Perform 6 Rounds....the total cardio time workout including warm up and cool down should be around 30 minutes or so
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    How do you do HIIT on the elliptical? I don't have a treadmill.

I prefer HIIT on an elliptical actually! For example, I'll do 30 seconds as fast as I can on as high a level of difficulty as possible, then do 60 seconds at a slower pace on a lower difficulty setting. Repeat for 15 minutes until dead.
  • I have a rather old elliptical. It goes up to like a 8 or 9 resistance level and it shows calories burned (which I think is very inaccurate- it overestimates), distance ran and heart rate (has the metal bars you put your hands on). I don't know if it shows my speed. That's what is throwing me off because I used to have a treadmill and it always showed my speed. I'm guessing just go slower with a lower resistance for about 30 secs and switch it up going faster with a higher resistance for about a minute and do it for 20 minutes starting out. I don't think I can handle 30 minutes yet. Thanks for all of your info. It's very helpful and greatly appreciated!
  • How do you do HIIT on the elliptical? I don't have a treadmill.

I prefer HIIT on an elliptical actually! For example, I'll do 30 seconds as fast as I can on as high a level of difficulty as possible, then do 60 seconds at a slower pace on a lower difficulty setting. Repeat for 15 minutes until dead.

Repeat until dead huh? That's how I feel sometimes after I push it hard!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Repeat until dead huh? That's how I feel sometimes after I push it hard!

If you aren't feeling dead after 15 minutes of HIIT... then you aren't doing it right! Seriously.

Seriously. (Most of the time I bow out around the 12 minute mark.)
  • My favorite is intervals on the spin bike!! I want to curl up and fall off after about 15-20 minutes of 30 sec or 60 second sprints! YOUCH! ;) But GREAT results!!!!
  • How do you log HIIT on the elliptical? I plan on doing it later a few hours after dinner.
  • Sorry if the above message wasn't clear. I meant to say is how do you log it as exercise on the MFP database? I know it is cardio but I'm not sure how to log it.
This discussion has been closed.