Etiquette question for the trainers in the crowd

cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,563 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi folks, I've got a question for you. I work out at the Y and in the past have participated in some group training sessions. The first time was awesome, there were 4 of us and we split a trainer twice a week. I'm pretty experienced at the gym but needed some new exercises and some motivation but didn't need somebody focused 100% on me for an hour so this arrangement worked great. That trainer then changed her focus to training individuals and folks who wanted to do their first triathlon so she is no longer around doing group sessions or many individual sessions. About 2 years ago I wanted to do the same thing so got into a different group with a different trainer. She's a lovely person, but I didn't really feel I got anything new out of her workouts-we mostly used the machines with a few free weights thrown in. I can do that by myself!

Well, I'm at that point where strength really needs to become my focus (vs. the light weights and tons of cardio I have been doing) and I would like to work with a trainer again. My problem is, that second girl is still there at the Y and asks me often "how's your strength training coming" and makes comments along the lines of "let me know when you want to get back into it" and so on. I don't want to use her! How would you suggest I handle this? I'm not confrontational and don't want any awkwardness-too small of a town (even though it's a city). I know in theory she should be glad I'm doing something but that's not reality when she wants the money.

Replies

• I first would give her a chance maybe couple sessions, have her write a resistence training plan for you maybe a 30 day cycle. Then make your decision. This is about what you need in a trainer and your results you can be a little selfish. Also if she is a good trainer she will adapt to your desire.
This discussion has been closed.