Looking for "mature" friends

Options
If you're over 50, are you finding weight loss harder than you remember it being 10 or 20 years ago?:sad:

Replies

• missmorninglory
    Options
    Not quite that 'mature' But my metabolism moved out when the bifocals moved in :sad: I truly miss my 30s lol
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 50 yrs old and from UK. I wouldn't say I find losing the weight harder, but I'm nowhere near as fit as I used to be, so the exercise is much harder, and I need to exercise to help with the weight loss. My own fault as I let myself put on alot of weight in the last 10 years, slowly but surely! If you want some support feel free to add me ......

Wendy
  • danaviac3
    Options
    Hi,
    I will be 49 in May, if that's close enough. :) I am having difficulty losing also, because I don't stick to anything. It would be nice to have a myfitnesspal.com "pal" to be accountable to. :)
    Thank you!
    Denise
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    <--- Ignore the photo.... that is my inspiration photo...I will be 60 on my next birthday (this summer). And YES! I am definitely finding weight loss more challenging in some ways. Mostly, it is just going so much slower. :yawn:

But I AM losing some weight even if it is just a pound a week (so far). Mostly, I am happy to be moving my body again; it has helped my mood and my energy as well as my sleep. The weight will come off as it comes off. For now, I am happy with slow...:happy:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I finally got serious about eating to lose fat a couple of months before my 49th birthday, and that's when I began tracking here on MFP. Now, a few months past my 50th birthday, I am beyond thrilled to say I weigh less than I did in my 40s, my 30s, and most of my 20s. I think the key for me has been consistency. In order to stick with this day in and day out, I needed to do it slowly and reasonably. My motivation was and remains my health, and I feel SO much better now than I did when I was younger.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and working hard. I do feel like I have to work twice as hard as anyone else, but I'm not getting any younger... so I'm going to do whatever it takes.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    O yes!!!! It was always so easy! I'm 50 now and things have definitely slowed down :-(

I gained about 25 pounds going through menopause, and moving to Alaska, where I can't get out and walk like I used to.

I thought I wasn't eating much, so i didn't understand it....but now that i'm keeping track of the calories i'm consuming, it became very clear.

I only need about 1500 calories a day! So, now i'm on 1200 calories and losing weight pretty steadily.....i've lost about 18 so far, and i'm starting to feel like my normal self again..

I will continue to log even after I meet my goal, as it will keep me on track.

I've learned a lot on MFP.....it's a great site! You can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • sassy_sandi
    sassy_sandi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was born in 1952. Graduated in 1970 from High School. Went to school in my 50's to become an LPN...I am still trying to be 'mature'...but would love to join you if you are interested. I lost 50 lbs when I turned 50 on the Weigh Down Diet, but have put 90% of it back on...so now 60 is coming and I am ready to do it and keep it off. Would love to have friends to help!!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and have never HAD to diet due to a very active lifestyle. Two back surgeries and two bad knees prohibit my pursuit of much activity, so the middle began to grow.
    I've just been here about 3 weeks and have lost 4 lbs.
    Having a little trouble modifying my eating habits, but I've been employing my will power. Successfully, so far.
    Just wish it were faster.
  • nph1960
    nph1960 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I am 50 and still managing to stay within 5 or so pounds of my goal weight, but it is getting harder and harder. I'd like to avoid having to move up a size in my jeans and mostly to take care of my health. My daughter found myfitnesspal and sent me the link this morning. I'd love the support of a few exercise and healthy-eating buddies!
  • glasielady
    glasielady Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm pass 50 and I'm having the hardest time losing this weight. I work my bottom off and weight doesn't come off fast. In 3 weeks I've lost 3 pounds, I look at it this way, that's better then gaining 3 pounds. If I worked as hard 30 years ago as I do today the weight probably would be coming off faster.
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and have been through surgery to remove half of my thyroid becuz of an autoimmune disease. My thyroid had started having problems after my first child was born 20 years ago. I have gained so much weight but I am giving this a try. I don't care if if comes off one pound a week just do it comes off!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi, I,m 50 and determind to get healthier before I hit 51. Finding the exercise challenging. I don't recover as fast as I used to. I have 4 kids with busy schedules, so finding time to fit in exercise is not always easy. It's also not easy eating right when cooking for the family. Any advice on how other people manage is much appreciated.
  • gracefuldreamer
    Options
    Hi, I'm 56 and have been thin all my life. Sadly, that all changed when I hit my forties! Those pounds just stick to you like glue. :grumble:
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and definitely finding it harder to lose...I think your metabolism slows as you "mature"..I've only lost 3 lbs in 5 weeks and i'm doing a lot more exercise...every day on the treadmill or at least an hour's walk but it's still no budging. grrrrrrrr