Instead of Bread

Options
I recently made some AWESOME mayo-free tuna salad with capers and kalamata olives, and I was thinking that putting it on bread would (A) make the bread soggy and gross and (B) add a bunch of empty calories. So I rummaged through my fridge and pulled out a head of purple cabbage. I took a leaf (which has, what, 4 calories?) and put 2 tomato slices and smeared a tablespoon of hummus on it and heaped on the tuna salad. It was super low cal and crispy and DELICIOUS. Even my boyfriend (who hated vegetables 5 years ago) was hooked on my tuna cabbage wraps. Also, I wasn't going to use hummus back when I thought I would eat it on bread, but when I've avoided over 100 calories, the hummus is definitely an option again (with such healthy fats, protein, and fiber).

Does anyone else have any good, fresh recommendations instead of bread?

Replies

• loriefolk
    Options
    Great idea! I love replacing bread with lettuce :) I wrap my burgers (cooked on the George Foreman) in lettuce and they are delish!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I have been using crakcers, but it is hard to stop at 15 crackers. Thanks for the tip!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating whole grain bread, it doesn't have empty calories. It provides fiber and whole grains and some carbs, which you do need. Your brain runs solely on carbs so you do need them!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You should look for edible rice paper. It is great to use for wraps and is super low calorie :)
  • tracyL88
    Options
    hmmmm def gonna have to try this! i LOVE tuna and i LOVE it with crackers or bread and this month i have decided to cut both from my diet since i eat so much of it and im going crazy just today without my tuna or my crackers/bread! thanks for the great idea!!!!
  • intimeoflilacs
    Options
    YUM! what a great solution!!!
  • intimeoflilacs
    Options
    MFP doesn't track fiber does it? i've been interested in keeping track of my fiber and calcium lately...
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Great ideas!!!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I like wrapping my turkey or boca burgers in a leaf of romaine lettuce. I'm a bread girl but I like having the options.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    There are also whole grain breads that are flourless and they are awesome! I get the Trader Joe's Daily Bread with no sodium!
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Adding this to my topics. I will definately have to try this. It sounds so delicious!!
  • kerryannk
    Options
    i love tuna salad as well, but i need some bread with that goodness. ive been by using whole wheat and multigrain Slimwiches to satiate my love for sandwiches. Cuts my sandwich down by 60 cals right there!
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    MFP doesn't track fiber does it? i've been interested in keeping track of my fiber and calcium lately...

You can add Fiber and Calcium to your diary.

Go to Food > Settings and use the drop down menus to track the nutrients you’re interested in.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating whole grain bread, it doesn't have empty calories. It provides fiber and whole grains and some carbs, which you do need. Your brain runs solely on carbs so you do need them!

Very true - and believe me, I'm anything but a low-carb enthusiast. It's just that I've realized that - like almost everything - it's too easy to over-do it on the calories from carbohydrates, especially bread. I already eat oatmeal every day for breakfast and usually have some other kind of whole grain in one of my meals. Having two slices of bread on top of all that really does cut into my daily calorie allowance. I feel like there are such better tasting and more interesting ways to fill my grain quota than to use bread as a delivery system for my sandwich filling. ....but the occasional traditional sandwich is mighty satisfying.
  • desiree0625
    desiree0625 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the pita king's whole wheat pitas. I usually eat only half and thats only 75 calories. I like to fill them with stir-fried fresh veggies and some homemade tzaziki. Yummy!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I will put tuna salad on celery or half a green pepper too or use cucumber slices.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also, for those of you interested, I posted the ingredients to my tuna salad:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165882-my-improvised-mayo-free-tuna-salad

It's also good in a hollowed out tomato!