Calorie Goal?

Options
I'm confused as to weather or not we are supposed to aiming to be under our calorie goal. I know I've seen people be excited about being under, but when I report under my calorie goal I get a warning message. I'm really trying to change my lifestyle to be more healthy, but I do need to lose weight. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you a warning if you are eating less than 1200 calories in a day. If your goal is at 1200 cals, you should probably reassess how quickly you are trying to lose- it is likely you are trying to go faster than is healthy.

Lower than 1200 cals for a sustained period of time signals to your body that you are starving and can have a variety of negative effects on the body.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The calorie goal MFP gives you is based on YOUR weight goals... be that gain/loss/maintain. If you set it that you have weight to lose it already figures a caloric deficit to allow you to meet your goal of 1lb to 2 lbs per week. SO in this one your goal is to get darn close to your NET goal.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to meet your calorie goal, that's why it's a goal instead of a minimum or maximum. People who are excited to be under don't fully understand how the MFP system works.
  • ccg0222
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the info.