"Hollandaise" Sauce

Options
ligytha
ligytha Posts: 130
I love Hollandaise sauce-- especially over asparagus. However, the amount of butter is way, way too much. Usually, Hollandaise is about 166 Cal/serving and 17g of fat. :noway:
So, I am happy to share a fat-free version I found!

Yield: 1.5 cups (12 tablespoons)

Ingredients:
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon + 1.5 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper (you can use black pepper, using white is mostly just for looks)
1 pinch nutmeg
1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
3 tablespoons lemon juice (the good stuff, not those nasty plastic lemons; you can taste the difference)
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Nutritional Facts
6 servings (2 tablespoons each)
Calories: 20
Cholesterol: 0
Fat: 0
Fiber: 0
Protein: 1.8g
Sodium: 116 mg

Directions:
1. Place milk, milk powder, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a 1 quart saucepan, and stir until the cornstarch and milk powser are dissolved. Place over medium-low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat the low.

2. Place the egg substitute in a small bowl, and stir in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture. Return the mixture to the pan, and continue to cook for another minute, or until the mixture thickens slightly. Do not let the mixture boil.

3.Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly stir in the lemon juice and zest. Serve hot over steamed asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, fish, etc.

Replies

• ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I love Hollandaise sauce-- especially over asparagus. However, the amount of butter is way, way too much. Usually, Hollandaise is about 166 Cal/serving and 17g of fat. :noway:
    So, I am happy to share a fat-free version I found!

Yield: 1.5 cups (12 tablespoons)

Ingredients:
    1 cup skim milk
    1/4 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
    1 tablespoon + 1.5 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper (you can use black pepper, using white is mostly just for looks)
    1 pinch nutmeg
    1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
    3 tablespoons lemon juice (the good stuff, not those nasty plastic lemons; you can taste the difference)
    2 teaspoons lemon zest

Nutritional Facts
    6 servings (2 tablespoons each)
    Calories: 20
    Cholesterol: 0
    Fat: 0
    Fiber: 0
    Protein: 1.8g
    Sodium: 116 mg

Directions:
    1. Place milk, milk powder, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a 1 quart saucepan, and stir until the cornstarch and milk powser are dissolved. Place over medium-low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat the low.

2. Place the egg substitute in a small bowl, and stir in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture. Return the mixture to the pan, and continue to cook for another minute, or until the mixture thickens slightly. Do not let the mixture boil.

3.Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly stir in the lemon juice and zest. Serve hot over steamed asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, fish, etc.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is a way to make this with tofu. I am allergic to eggs, but in all honesty this sauce makes me gag(aside from the allergy) But I am replying to say than you for the slimmed down recipe!!!!!! And also to anyone who makes it a little warning USE PATERIZED EGGS!!!!! That way you will be 100 percent safe. I wanna find a healthier gravy YUM YUM recipe