Sodium intake

Options
I am in a bit of a conundrum, a former co worker of mine is retiring and a few of us are going out to dinner at the Olive Garden. I am looking at the website for options tomorrow night, I found a couple. They have an Apricot chicken lunch portion has about 280 calories, 32 carbs which will fit into my daily plan, but it has over 1000 mg of sodium in it, probably in the sauce it comes in. My question is What should ones daily intake of sodium be? I am weighing in on Thursday and don't want to retain water. I haven't cheated at all in three weeks and I am hoping for another six lbs this week to bring me to 24 for three weeks.

I am on a very restrictive diet being monitored by a hospital. I just don't want to lose steam.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For most healthy people 2000-2500mg is the limit. If you have certain health problems, or are predisposed to certain health problems the limit is as low as 1000-1500mg.

Going over sodium on one day won't hurt anything. You may retain some water as a result, but the water weight should go away in a day or two. Just make sure you drink a little extra water that day and the next day or two after.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    well old RDA was 2300 but i think of as of yesterday they actually lowered it to 1500

Go ahead and enjoy dinner :] jast make sure to drink A LOT of water and you should be fine :}
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    2500 mg a day what you should try to stay under. However, if you go over, getting more potassium or drinking more water will help flush the excess sodium out of your system.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    that is only one meal for your day..so watch your sodium in breakfast and lunch...have some fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast and a big healthy salad for lunch...you will make it for your daily goal!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I will shoot for 80 oz of water each day. Or maybe see if I can get sauce on side. I don't know if they can do that though.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    You can always ask for sauce on the side with any food you get. Make sure to drink lots of water!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Drinking extra water will help, but as was mentioned by one poster, POTASSIUM is great in helping get rid of excess sodium. The thing about potassium is that when food gets processed, potassium is leached out. So fresh fruits and veggies have LOTS while processed/packaged foods have little to none. I try to balance my sodium and potassium. This forces me to eat more veggies and fruits.

Load up on these before and after, as well as the water, and you should be ok!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would only eat half of the meal. Take the rest home and have it another day. And fill up on salad (no dressing if you are okay with that..they are usually cool when I ask for it w/o). Nice job with your progress thus far!