Iron

raisingallages
raisingallages Posts: 2 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like to know how this site gets the number for the amount of iron your body should be getting. I never thought much about it until I joined here and started monitoring it. I am almost always above the number it has set for me. Is there a serious risk in going above this number or is it just a "go by" number? Thanks

Replies

• wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    I am not 100%...you can always google it but I am pretty sure low iron = anemia
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    FE poisioning is really serious. What the heck are you eating so you are always over?

I have to take a vitamin to get ANY FE because I don't get any in my diet. Maybe you should check to make sure the listing is correct on the foods you eat.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    low iron = anemia
    What Is Iron Overload?
    Iron overload occurs when, after many years, the body absorbs an abundance of iron that builds up in organ tissues such as the heart and/or liver. Iron overload is a serious chronic condition that must be properly diagnosed and treated. Undiagnosed iron overload can lead to hemochromatosis, which is potentially life-threatening.

While the majority of hemochromatosis cases are genetic in origin, as mentioned, other non-genetic causes may be to blame. These can include complications from other blood disorders, chronic transfusion therapy, chronic hepatitis, and excessive iron intake. (http://womenshealth.about.com/od/commonhealthissues/a/ironoverload.htm)
This discussion has been closed.