UNSWEETENED Vanilla Almond Milk

Options
Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts on Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk? Is the unsweetened still tasty? I don't really want to buy the sweetened because it's higher calorie. What does it taste like? I plan to use it primarily for cereal.

Thanks,

K

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I use it for my coffee, but I use sugar free coffee syrups as well. My daughter drinks it but has to add some splenda to it. I buy it because it is "milk" without the loaded carbs for my little serving that I use.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i didn't like it as much. I think it would be awesome for baking though.
    I like the regular almond milk
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like it to put over cheerios and I put it in my tea with splenda. I think it's great. I like it plain too, but it's definitely not sweet. The vanilla isn't strong in it, just a hint, but good. :) HTH!
  • kim0913
    Options
    Ok....what's with Almond milk?? Is this something I should be drinking? What are the benefits?
  • colleen1962
    colleen1962 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i like it pretty well, but not in my coffee. i am watching carbs so i try to use it.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i like the unsweetended better than regular in my cereal.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I find it works very well in most applications. It's less nutty than original almond milk and requires no Splenda IMO. I routinely use it to counter the strong taste of whey protein powder as well as in chocolate Shakeology. I've used it in cereal as well and didn't really notice much difference from skim milk other than the thickness.
  • domiunica01
    Options
    i didn't think i would like it but i do.. i add it to my coffee and eat it with cereal and a banana..it's only 35 calories :)
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the unsweetened, but I love the sweetened.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i like unsweetened almond milk a lot. to me it tastes like skim milk with a little nutty taste. i think you'll enjoy it if you use it with foods that have natural sweetness. for example, i usually use almond milk with raisin bran cereal so the raisins add a sweet taste, or in my smoothies with frozen strawberries and vanilla extract.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it in my cereal. I almost prefer it to normal milk for cereal. It just seems to go so well with any of the cereals I've had it with, like they were meant to be together.

But, I can't drink it on it's own, it's far to nutty on it's own. I have baked with it and seems fine in anything I've baked with it. I've even gotten the hubby switched over to it. :D

And I actually find that it seems sweeter than the sweetened almond milk (which I bought by accident once).
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts on Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk? Is the unsweetened still tasty? I don't really want to buy the sweetened because it's higher calorie. What does it taste like? I plan to use it primarily for cereal.

Thanks,

K

I bought it last week and it was not as good in my opinion. It was more like white water, really. I prefer the 60 calorie regular almond milk. It has less sugar than cow's milk, so it does what it needs to do for me...that's why I switched milks anyway. I just wasn't impressed at all with the unsweetened variety.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I really like it - use it for protein shakes and smoothies and sometimes i heat it up and add stevia, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a peppermint tea bag to it to make ~60 calorie hot cocoa!! yum! But I prefer REAL milk over almond "milk" definitely, so I switch off between the two or mix them. There isn't as much protein in almond milk and the calcium and vitamins aren't natural as they are in real milk. To me, if you are going to have the sweetened almond milk you should just have real milk; the lactose sugars naturally in cow's milk are a lot better than added sugar.
  • LivingFitNC
    LivingFitNC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I definitely use it exclusively for my protein shakes because it has a hint of vanilla and no added sugar so less simple carbs. However, I use some alcohol-free stevia drops to enhance the flavors in my shake. I don't drink it alone either, only in my protein shake. I agree that if you aren't lactose intolerant or avoiding dairy for some reason that buying regular milk as opposed to sweetened almond milk is the better alternative. But I love this unsweetened version myself!