Discovery Channel, Detroit & Me

Options
Hi All,

I know this doesn't exactly fall under fitness, but it does fall under support and motivation! I hope you will help.

Anyone who knows me (I've been on these boards for about 2 years) knows that I work for the Discovery Channel producing all kinds of crazy and adventurous stuff like Deadliest Catch, Storm Chasers, Whale Wars and tons of other shows. I love my job but it does make it hard sometimes to stay consistent because I travel about 9 months of the year.

ANYWAY...in December I sold my first show. It was 10 episodes on Discovery Channel and called "A Dog's Life." It followed the stray dogs in Detroit -- told entirely from their point of view, kinda like a Meerkat Manor. Last week my show was shut down by the city. They do not want people to know that there is a stray dog epidemic (50,000 and counting) in the city. We were also not allowed to talk about the abandoned buildings (90,000 and counting).

When they shut us down it made the front page of the paper. Discovery would not comment on it, because at the time we hoped we could still work out a permit with the city. Now that it is well and truly over, I'm going public with my story. I also stayed behind in Detroit for a week to see if there was something I could do to help. I decided to cut a video exposing the story because I'm frustrated with the corruption and lies from the city, and I want to blow the lid off the situation.

If you have a moment, please watch the video. I also started up a website called www.detroitdogrescue.com, and I'm figuring out the next steps. Eventually I will move on to another job, in another part of the world, because that is what I do, but the dogs don't have that option. They will be left behind.

Here's my video. Please let me know what you think and help if you can. I'm open to any suggestions and support that anyone can offer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZOA_Y_dGeo

Replies

• NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely heartbreaking. :brokenheart:

I don't have any suggestions but I really hope your video reaches the right people that can help with those poor dogs since the city refuses to do anything. :(
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was an intense video.

What has happened in Detroit is astonishing and tragic on so many levels. This just adds another dimension to this tragedy. Thank you for bearing witness and bringing the story to those of us who are so far removed.
  • Lknott
    Lknott Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This hurts my heart! Such a sad reality.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    wow. Go you for doing something about it. I'm saving this link to watch in the morning
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to watch...honestly, it was horrible to see what was really going on there. Thank you for responding and for the support! It means so much to me.

Guess I lean on you guys for more than just fitness stuff!

:heart:
  • forJupiter
    Options
    I live just outside of Detroit and its a shame they stopped the show. Maybe if they had permitted it to show to air then there could have been an outpouring of support for these animals. Detroit needs to change in so many ways, I wish I could have the pride that others do for the city but frankly things like this only make me ashamed. I'm definitely posting this up on facebook.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I will watch it later. I'm not from Detroit, but from MI and I love my state. Sadly, the negativity surrounding any place overshadows the whole state.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AND ANYONE WHO HAS WATCHED THE VIDEO AND/OR DONATED.

My video is going viral!!!! We have had 30,000 views in 24 hours. I got calls from MSNBC, Details Magazine, tons of local Detroit outlets AND it's up on Gawker TV. Let's keep the momentum going!!

Best of all, we have raised $4000 in less than 24 hours. This video was filmed in two days and I edited it in 6 hours while stranded at the Detroit Airport. I made it out of sadness, frustration and rage at the city for trying to pretend the problem doesn't exist. The fact that people have noticed -- and donated -- has truly brought tears to my eyes.

Hope you are all well, and thanks for the responses!
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    This video has content from UMG and is not available in your country.....Here in Germany. shucks
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I am so glad there are people like you out there willing to go the extra mile to help/save animals. If more people had our compassion, then there would not be a story for you to even cover.....I hope that you going public with this make people more aware of the animals around us, sharing our world, and that we need to respect them just as much as they respect us.
  • TheNewStacie
    TheNewStacie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I will definitely share!!! All the dogs on here are absolutely beautiful, and the part with the puppies is just heartbreaking. I hope your devotion pays off, and people can open their eyes up!!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I will post it on my twitter after work
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I will watch this when I get home later. I live about 45 min. from Detroit. It's sad to think about all them poor animals on the streets.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Im still in tears... I feel so helpless and wish there was more I could do.. I cried harder when I read that there was success in the last 24 hours and so much had come from it... Thank you for what you do! You are the only voice these dogs had until now....Thank you for bringing to us!!!!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely be sharing on facebook.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Update from Detroit...

We are making a splash here!

And today I rescued the most amazing and sweet little guy (named him "Noodles") who will be coming back to LA with me next week. There are SO many abandoned dogs here, it is heartbreaking. But we've got interviews lined up with all the local news outlets AND I'm doing a MSNBC interview (also on Todayshow.com) this weekend!

It really seems like we might be able to make a difference here. I sure hope so.

Here's some links to press we've gotten since this whole thing has taken off. And thank you again to anyone who donated to www.detroitdogrescue.com or linked to our video!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/02/09/detroits-stray-dogs-video-goes-viral/
    http://www.freep.com/article/20110209/NEWS06/102090384/Video-makers-show-Detroit-s-stray-dog-problem-YouTube
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/video-put-the-spotlight-on-stray-dog-issue-in-detroit-20110209-mr
    http://tv.gawker.com/#!5749421/there-are-50000-stray-dogs-in-detroit