swimming

Options
Okay so I looove swimming, but I'm really scared of being in a bathing suit in public. I know I look a lot better than I used to, but I still have really low self confidence. Oh and I'm really white too and I don't know anything about tanning. Any suggestions/techniques for not feeling so self-conscious in a bathing suit?

Replies

• squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Okay so I looove swimming, but I'm really scared of being in a bathing suit in public. I know I look a lot better than I used to, but I still have really low self confidence. Oh and I'm really white too and I don't know anything about tanning. Any suggestions/techniques for not feeling so self-conscious in a bathing suit?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The tanning is easy. There are a lot of lotions available. I recommend the kind that are actually body lotions with just a little bit of tanner in them. Put in on everyday after your shower. It will give you a little color but not so much that it looks fake.

I can't help much with the swim suit other than to suggest that you find one that you feel good in. The one I have is racer back but it does have a built in bra. There are a lot out with tummy control. Try those...every little bit of support helps!

Have fun...I love to swim, in fact I just got home from the pool.
  • dashielldo
    Options
    I just got up the courage (after buying a bathing suit a month ago and joining a gym then as well just for the pool) to go into the pool yesterday - It helped to go into the pool several days before I dared to do it and look at the other people there - not to be critical or anything, but just to get a realistic view of the other folks in the pool - there were definitely people more fit and in great shape but also plenty of people who were brave souls like myself - and of course I also realized that no one was really paying attention to me, they were focused on doing their laps ....anyway, it was worth overcoming the fear, because it felt so great to swim again...and once you get into the pool...the rest is easy - good luck!
    Oh, and there are lots of good self tanning products out there- from jergens (really inexpensive) to loreal and estee lauder - they work really well
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but really when I'm swimming laps I'm too busy to be checking people out...and if I did notice, I would think it's great if someone overweight was swimming too and getting healthy.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way even when I was 30 lbs lighter I still felt like everyone was looking at me.

But I looked around and you now what not everyone was a size 0 with a BMI of like 2

Everyone was different sizes I probably looked like a weirdo looking at people as they walked by, but I realized they didn't seem like it bothered them, so why should I feel that way.

Anyway - Attractive comes from the inside not the outside :bigsmile:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    honey again I say I should practice what I preach. Fake the confidence, and everyone will think that you are so sure of yourself and that is a great look on anyone. Plus i have seen girls/ladies in 2 pieces that remind me of that part in norbit(you wearin bottoms???) so think of how confident they are and dont worry about it. Be proud of your body, embrace your curves and how far you have come. I bet you look great!!! Dont worry about ANYONE around you. You are there to exercise/have fun/enjoy the sun!!!!
    But I also bought a two piece(I had bought them in years past thinking "oh Ill fit into it" and nevr did but this year I did it again and picked up a pink size 6 and slid into it. I need toning but for now I have my racing suit...heres to all the MFP summer hotties!!!
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thanks guys- yall are the best. I actually did go swimming yesterday in a two piece :noway: I took your advice and you know what? it wasn't that bad. I felt a little awkward/uncomfortable at first, but I faked confidence and I looked at the situation realistically and then I just forgot about it. It was pretty amazing... that's probably the first time in my entire life that I've worn a two piece swimming suit in public without a cover up and not gone home afterward feeling like crying. So thanks to everyone that replied. I love you guys. If you ever need support or motivation, I'll be there for you too. Good luck on your journeys! We're in this together :heart:
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Know whats funny about me? Right now Im so self consice in normal clothes but Im fine at the beach. I wear a tankini with the reg suit bottoms and it feels like my tummy is hiding.

About tanning, I wouldnt go to a tanning bed. I get tan at the beach but not using sunscreen is a bad idea.
  • AngelicDevil80
    Options
    I just got up the courage (after buying a bathing suit a month ago and joining a gym then as well just for the pool) to go into the pool yesterday - It helped to go into the pool several days before I dared to do it and look at the other people there - not to be critical or anything, but just to get a realistic view of the other folks in the pool - there were definitely people more fit and in great shape but also plenty of people who were brave souls like myself - and of course I also realized that no one was really paying attention to me, they were focused on doing their laps ....anyway, it was worth overcoming the fear, because it felt so great to swim again...and once you get into the pool...the rest is easy - good luck!
    Oh, and there are lots of good self tanning products out there- from jergens (really inexpensive) to loreal and estee lauder - they work really well

Or everyone else is thinking they might not look great in a suit so they dont pay much attention lol I see people at our beach who are bigger then myself and all I think is good for everyone for going swimming. I mean it is great exercise! Id rather go the beach then the gym lol
  • AngelicDevil80
    Options
    thanks guys- yall are the best. I actually did go swimming yesterday in a two piece :noway: I took your advice and you know what? it wasn't that bad. I felt a little awkward/uncomfortable at first, but I faked confidence and I looked at the situation realistically and then I just forgot about it. It was pretty amazing... that's probably the first time in my entire life that I've worn a two piece swimming suit in public without a cover up and not gone home afterward feeling like crying. So thanks to everyone that replied. I love you guys. If you ever need support or motivation, I'll be there for you too. Good luck on your journeys! We're in this together :heart:

YAY!!!! Keep it up! :flowerforyou: