Increasing Metabolism

Options
Just wondering if people have any handy tips for increasing metabolism?

I'm a nursing mother, so I can't consume radical amounts of caffeine (although I'd love to!). I normally limit myself to one very weak cup of coffee a day.

I also try to eat smaller more frequent meals, as I'm sure most people know this helps to increase metabolism, but I guess I'm looking for other tips like different approaches to eating, or eating different types of food, or changing my activity levels etc.

TIA! :-)

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Spicey food help increase metabolism. Increasing lean muscle tissue does as well. Start you day with a 16oz glass of ice water. You body has to heat up the water...that take metabolism. Also eat every 2-3 hrs. I know you mentioned more frequent but I wanted to clarify that if food is always in your stomach your metabolism is always working.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When you wake up in the morning do some cardio exercise for at least 20 minutes. It jump starts you metabolism. Within an hour of your exercise eat your breakfast. Make sure it has protein.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    People vastly overestimate their ability to "increase metabolism". For the most part, it's a false Grail. As a rule, the people who have the most ability to "increase metabolism" (i.e. athletes) have the least need for it.

It's best that you just stick with a solid routine and focus on being consistent. Getting sidetracked with peripheral issues just keeps you from focusing on the important stuff.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Spicey food help increase metabolism. Increasing lean muscle tissue does as well. Start you day with a 16oz glass of ice water. You body has to heat up the water...that take metabolism. Also eat every 2-3 hrs. I know you mentioned more frequent but I wanted to clarify that if food is always in your stomach your metabolism is always working.

Your metabolism is always working even when you don't have food in your stomach.

When metabolism STOPS working....well, then ya got no more problems anyhow.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    Well I'm doing good staying on track, so that's not a problem. Thanks for your input.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    When you wake up in the morning do some cardio exercise for at least 20 minutes. It jump starts you metabolism. Within an hour of your exercise eat your breakfast. Make sure it has protein.

Thanks. I think this will benefit me regardless... If I do a bit of cardio in the morning I think I'll be more inclined to be active through the day.
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    actually you can boost your metabolism but not permanently...
    Strength training is a good way to boost your resting metabolic rate that's because Muscle is active tissue that consumes calories while stored fat uses little energy.
  • laddyboy
    Options

Your metabolism is always working even when you don't have food in your stomach.

Correct but when you have an empty stomach is has nothing to do so it slows way down. Keep food ramps it up.
  • laddyboy
    Options

Thanks. I think this will benefit me regardless... If I do a bit of cardio in the morning I think I'll be more inclined to be active through the day.

Actually if you do 20-30 minutes of resistance 1st then cardio you will burn more fat.
  • Azdak
    Options
    R

Correct but when you have an empty stomach is has nothing to do so it slows way down. Keep food ramps it up.

Not really true (or perhaps I should say not significant).