I am really afraid

Options
Hello everyone, question? I have high blood pressure but it elevates when I am under alot of stress or my anxiety level is high. I am really nervous sometimes at the gym to push myself to get a good burn because of my blood pressure. My doc says that my blood pressure most probally goes down after a work out and it does!!! But my concern is that what if it gets to high while working out. So i keep my excersise at a minimum because of that!! Which is not good because I need that to lose weight to bring my blood pressure down for good. I am currently taking one med for it!!! Anyone had this issue????/

Replies

• Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem but I would try using a heart rate monitor. You can buy them online and from sports shops and some gym machines have them built in so you just grab the handles and it gives you your current heart rate.

There are certain 'zones' of heart rates that are better for fat burning and these tend to be lower than the all out high intensity work out. I can't remeber what they are offhand but you should be able to google them.
  • britt0501
    Options
    Hi Christy,
    i dont personally have this issue but my dad is a diabetic with high blood pressure.
    He use to work out all the time and go to the gym. Yes his blood pressure would rise
    but it always came back down. I wouldn't be to concern with what you blood pressure
    is while your working out. I would just keep and eye on it once your done your work out.
    If your gym has a personal trainer and the give a free session talk with them too.
    Maybe then can give you a workout that would help you lose weight and also help to
    keep your blood pressure low.

Hope this helps a little
    britt
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    Keep on mind that heart rate and blood pressure are different. The machines check your heart rate.
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    Hi! I have HBP too, and do some pretty intense stuff at the gym...your BP will go up of course, but it will come down, nothing permanent...I haven't heard of anyone having an issue from it while working out, should be ok :)
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would trust my doctor and he doesn't seem worried about it. You do burn more fat when you're working at your lower optimum heart rate so don't overdo and don't stress about it.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would trust my doctor and he doesn't seem worried about it. You do burn more fat when you're working at your lower optimum heart rate so don't overdo and don't stress about it.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure, I do take meds for it but I do also work out. I try to work out in zone 2 which for me is around 150bpm at the moment because I want to burn fat and lose the weight I have put on over the last 3 years. That said 3 years ago when I was fit, I still had to take blood pressure meds and I would push my heart rate up to 180 bpm doing an intense rowing session. The best thing would be to listen to your body, if it is hurting or you are feeling dizzy then slow down or stop. You will burn fat if you just work out with enough intensity to cause you to breathe a little harder and sweat a little. If you can still hold a conversation without gasping for breath you are probably working out at about the right pace.

I should add that since rejoining the gym and eating healthily my bp does seem to be heading nicely downwards :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, question? I have high blood pressure but it elevates when I am under alot of stress or my anxiety level is high. I am really nervous sometimes at the gym to push myself to get a good burn because of my blood pressure. My doc says that my blood pressure most probally goes down after a work out and it does!!! But my concern is that what if it gets to high while working out. So i keep my excersise at a minimum because of that!! Which is not good because I need that to lose weight to bring my blood pressure down for good. I am currently taking one med for it!!! Anyone had this issue????/

If your Dr knows you are working out and did not stress any concerns then you should be fine. If you are still too nervous maybe you should talk to a personal trainer about workouts that will help you with intervals, so you can get a good burn in shorter bursts. The Dr would have said something if he wanted you to take it easy and not overdo it.

Best of luck to you.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    my bp is high too. the way to get off meds is through exercise so dont be afraid to push. just listen to your body if it feels too hard scale it back some
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd say you probably need to talk to your Dr.
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    Mine ranged around 148 over 120 It was pretty bad, i started working out a month ago, and i broke a few capilarys, usually in my eyes..but only when i was really pushing myself. But now i am in normal range.. and officially off my blood pressure meds. : ) I was very worried about the HBP and working out too but my personal trainer doesn't believe in excuses like my hands are numb. lol.

I'd say a heart rate monitor would be a really good investment, i didn't have the money so i just used a mirror. You will know you are getting alittle too worked up if your eyes turn red or your chest is red. those are signs to cool down for a few mins, and then jump back on.