Almond Milk

Options
murf19
murf19 Posts: 453 Member
Hi,
I've been using non fat milk with my shakeolgy. I'm hearing more and more about Almond Milk. I don't know much on the subject. Could someone give me some info on it?

What does it taste like, what's the best brand? Where does it come from....

much appreciated.

Replies

• Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use Almond milk (vanilla) in my shakology- it's really good!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I drink almond milk everyday. I don't know a lot about how it's made but it's yummy. I like Almond Breeze brand over Silk. Just be careful when buying because the sweetened varieties can have have a lot of sugar. they do have unsweetened varieties. I use Vanilla unsweetened just to drink and original unsweetened in my cereal and baking.
  • jade1244
    Options
    sounds yummy I am going to try it......
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond dream or Almond breeze unsweetened vanilla and sometimes plain. Both have a slightly sweet and nutty taste, and are delicious. A cup (250 ml) has 40-50 cals but only 1 gram of protein, so you want to add a little more protein powder than you would with milk. Other nutrients:
    Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 30%, Iron 4%, Vitamin D 25%, Vitamin E 30%, Vitamin B12 50%, Phosphorous 20%
  • murf19
    Options
    thanks. Is it sold where the milk is? I have a milk man, so its been a while since I bought milk in the store.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Almond milk with my protein shakes. I switched over because I'm trying to limit (not completely cut out) my dairy. It seems to be improving my scale movement. The thing about taking in almond or coconut milk is that it has less protein in it than cow milk. I like the taste of almond milk.

Yeah, it's sold everywhere now. They have it at Target, Costco, all grocery stores...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    thanks. Is it sold where the milk is? I have a milk man, so its been a while since I bought milk in the store.

Usually in the natural or organic section of the grocery store. It can be found in the fridge or in tetra packs on the shelves (usually with rice and soy milks)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love my almond and use the unsweetened original. I think it tastes like Cereal Milk. I love the Chocolate variety too,but mix it with the unsweetened original to cut the calories.
    I will never touch milk again in my life.:drinker:
  • hgalloway23
    Options
    it's all we drink in my house. I use both Silk and Almond Breeze brands unsweetened original. I think the Silk has a little more calcium. I personally like the taste better than cow's milk, but it has less sugar so it's not as sweet. My kids now drink it and enjoy it. It's made from soaking almonds, so it does have some fat, I think about 2.5 grams. You should try it. You have nothing to lose.
  • murf19
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm going to try it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I've tried soy and almond milk on and off for the past year. Both I buy ONLY in unsweetened versions b/c sweetened has WAY too many calories. If it’s a vanilla flavour it 's a fun taste for a smoothie but they both taste so bland in cereal, soy is very much cardboard'ish in taste, almond milk is better.

After a couple months of that I've gone back to my skim milk and it is sooooooo much more refreshing! I'll stick to regular milk b/c after all, aren't the alternatives processed and we are supposed to be avoiding them? (other than those who are lactose intolerant of course).
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I like it to use it for a milk sub when cooking. But in cereal and by itself it tastes WAY too sweet.