Upping Protein without Upping Calories (too much)

Options
I have a belly chub problem, and I've read that upping your protein intake can help with belly fat, (along with calorie counting and exercise of course), so my question is:

What's a good way to up my protein without upping my calorie too much?

Thanks!

Farmerswife87

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Egg whites.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    extra lean ground turkey or turkey roast tenderloin--you got a lot for very little calories.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Reduce your carbs/fats.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder after workouts! Also, eating edamame as an appetizer for dinner, 0% Fat Fage Greek Yogurt...etc.

Check out my food log if you want some good ideas - I eat a very high protein diet and you're right it does work for getting rid of belly fat!

Jourdan
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    GNC carries a low carb - low calorie - high protein powder. I like the vanilla and blend 2 scoops of it with a cup of skim milk and a cup of frozen blueberries. I use it as a meal replacement since I don't usually eat breakfast anyway.

I love PureFit protein bars. They are 200 calories, taste great, and can be subbed in for a snack. Plus, they are vegan so they don't melt, you can leave them in your purse. The best kinds are peanutbutter crunch and almond. I think you can get them online but I get them at the local healthfood store.

Salmon is a great source of protein. I grill mine with lemons and pepper, and a little omega3 oil (I'm allergic to olives). It's super tasty, as in yummy enough to please my husband tasty.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Impossible to up protein without upping calories...There are 4 calories in every gram of protein, there are also 4 calories in every gram of carbohydrate, and 9 calories in every gram of fat. To up your protein intake without bumping calories up you need to reduce the amount of carbohydrates and fat that you consume.

Whey protein will be the leanest protein you can find, works great, absorbs into the body quickly, and has little to no carbohydrates/fat/sugar.
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    I use Muscle Milke Light 100 calorie Chocolate Shakes. Egg whites are also good. If you do a protein shake, just make sure it doesn't have a ton of sugar in it. The Muscle Milk has only 2 grams of sugar, which is good for a protein shake.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i add boiled egg whites to my snacks, and I use protein powder (soy based, unsweetened--brand is Genisoy). the protein powder says 3 scoops is a serving. I just add one scoop to my oatmeal or soups, just to give it a boost. Nuts are also a good option, but those are calorie dense and have good fats (in moderation). Depends though, I am vegetarian, so I get creative--adding half a serving of beans or nuts to a salad, etc. If you eat meat, it is a little easier for getting your protein...
  • cflorkie
    Options
    oh, and I'm still on a 1200 cal diet, with 100g protein as goal, and most days I'm pretty close :)
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel so loved! This website is awesome!!

I think I'm going to start with egg whites, and some lean meats, maybe in a bit, try a protein powder. There's a GNC nearby, any suggestions for a female, who works out (JM 30 day shred) everyday, who will eat catfood if there's chocolate on it?

;)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't stand chocolate protein powder. But if you are going to get some, I would recommend Optimum Whey. It is smooth and doesn't have the grainy texture a lot of other protein powders have.
  • cflorkie
    Options
    I use iso burst.

I'm also on their woman's ultra mega vitamin - for active women

ETA: get a gold card. It's only ten bucks and saves you almost that on everything you buy.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Impossible to up protein without upping calories...There are 4 calories in every gram of protein, there are also 4 calories in every gram of carbohydrate, and 9 calories in every gram of fat. To up your protein intake without bumping calories up you need to reduce the amount of carbohydrates and fat that you consume.

Whey protein will be the leanest protein you can find, works great, absorbs into the body quickly, and has little to no carbohydrates/fat/sugar.

This is the correct answer but if you are looking for an easy answer, egg whites or beaters are 30 cals a serving and 6g of protein.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump - im trying to do the same