Baked Oatmeal

Options
Cbandelier
Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
Baked oatmeal is a wonderful thing. It solves the texture problem for those who have trouble with regular oatmeal. And, you can make it ahead of time. I like to make one batch, and take a serving with me to heat up later at work.

I got this recipe from a magazine a long time ago, I think it was "Simply Delicious", but I'm not sure.

I'll post the ingredients and nutrition info as written; you can tweak the sugar/fruits/nuts as desired.

Baked Blueberry and Peach Oatmeal

3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 egg
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can (15 oz) sliced peaches in juice, drained and chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1. Combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in peaches and blueberries.

2. Transfer to an 11 x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until top is lightly browned (internal temp 160).

Makes 9 servings with 277 calories, 11 g fat (1 g sat fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 38 g carb, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.

When I make it, I usually just use 2 eggs instead of separating out the whites. I have also made it with slivered almonds instead of walnuts and that was good, too. You can pour milk over it if you like, it is good with or without.

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Does it come out firm like a bar??
  • Cbandelier
    Options
    It is soft, almost like cake. I eat it with a spoon.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but if I put in frozen strawberries (instead of blueberries), will the oatmeal come out all mushy or still cake-like?
  • Cbandelier
    Options
    Hmm, not sure. I don't think it would be totally mushy, but you might want to try defrosting the strawberries before you put them in.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Perfect! Sounds like a great recipe to try. I was researching more oatmeal meals :smile:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious and an excellent solution to my problem I've been having lately with trying to find some quick and healthy breakfasts. I wonder how it would hold up to being divided into portions and then freezing them? Then it would just be a matter of getting a portion and heating it up in the morning.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I tried this today and it definitely delicious --- I will be making this often!!

I used 2 whole eggs, added some cinnamon, and chopped pecans on top. I left the fruit out, but had it on top of warmed blueberries. MMMMM...MMm!

Thank you for posting this recipe!
  • kp106
    kp106 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kp106
    kp106 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Thanks. I will try a modified vesion of this recipe.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I tried this today and it definitely delicious --- I will be making this often!!

I used 2 whole eggs, added some cinnamon, and chopped pecans on top. I left the fruit out, but had it on top of warmed blueberries. MMMMM...MMm!

Thank you for posting this recipe!

and for personal preference, I only used 1/4 tsp and it was more than plenty for me, so I'll just leave it out completely next time.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rosita76
    Options
    bump
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious
  • amandakay23