My first 5k is in March and I need some advice

Options
I DO NOT claim to be a runner, cyclist or whatever. However, I have always wanted to participate in a 5k or some type of walk/run. I am finally going to do it in March. Since I am currently at a "plateau" in my weight loss, I have been trying to up my workouts and train for the 5k. Can you guys that are runners/walkers give me some advice on what I should be eating and what type of training exercises I should be doing?

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my first 5K a co-worker gave me some good advice and it was quite simple. Interval training. Try running for 3 minutes, walking for 1 or 2 run and 2 walk. As of now I've done about 10 5K's, 1 10K and I'm training for a half marathon! I STILL use that interval training sometimes. :) good luck!
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    I also am not a runner but I did my first 5k recently. I had just one goal - finish it! I did my training and the actual day in intervals of jogging/walking and finished in 40 minutes. Have fun!
  • nctc521
    Options
    There is a great website called couch 2 5k. It will give you a plan for 8 weeks. If you are already active, you can probably start at week 2, 3, or 4 and be ready for the March 5k.... I am running one in March also. My first in a long time!
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first 5K in Feb. I'm walking it though. I really shouldn't run yet so all I'm doing it walking 2 miles a day with the Walk fit videos and I walk a 5K path on the weekends and time myself. I went from doing it in 1.5 hours to 1 hour this past weekend.
    Good Luck and keep us posted. My goal is to maybe run one next year.
  • chipvb
    chipvb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My advice is have fun with it.
    My wife and I did our first run together last year and I realized the reason she doesn't like running, is she looks at it as a chore.
    You've said you are doing well towards your goals, so chances are you can do it, just don't make it any harder than it really is.
    When you run, run at a comfy speed and a comfy distance. Don't try to hurt yourself, just enjoy the run.
    The funny thing is if you keep doing that you will get better, will run further, faster, and will have fun the whole time.

One last quick comment on something I do when I am trying to get better with my run: when you are just about done (with the run, done as in ready to fall out), try sprinting for the last 30 sec. This always seems to help me get a little better each time.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Check out Run Less, Run Faster & Paleo For Athletes. Both very good books!
  • SeeCrystal
    Options
    I'm also going to be doing my first in march as well is my mom. I am going to get her on the treadmill with me so we can train together!!
  • suttontm
    Options
    Congrats!! I think the first step to any 5K is to register! Once you get it in your mind and you register then it's on! I was a lil ambitious and I have a dear friend that started out at 404 lbs and is down to 298 lbs (wooohooo) and she is doing a 15K in March and another one in April so I've registered for the one in March that I'm going to walk/jog with her. Our main goal is to complete it. We are training with a trainer three days a week then walk/jog two more days a week.

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes!!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    The Couch to 5K is great. I wish I would have used it when I started. I am just finishing the Couch to 10K and really enjoyed it. You can do the website, download podcasts or an app for your ipod. It tells you when to run/walk and I can listen to my music or an audiobook (which helps me keep a steadier pace). Also, pay attention to your form. I recently went to a local free clinic--not sure where you are located (www.goodformrunning.com) and it helped me alot. I found I wasn't fighting myself as much which made my next run a better experience. Good luck and remember to have fun!
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my droid and will definitely keep you guys posted.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Just remember to have fun. Very exciting to run first race.