How to get started with exercise?

Options
I am more than 100 lbs overweight, have not exercised consistently in a long time, and have a habit of jumping in with excitement then getting hurt and giving up.

Currently I am doing light cardio. I walk 10-20 mins a day at about 2.5/mph - this is just getting to and from public transit.

I have started riding a recumbent bike at a moderate pace on level 1 for 20 minutes and feel good after doing this. I have more energy now. How often should I do the recumbent bike?

When should I add weight training in and how often should I do that?

I was thinking I should focus more on cardio but have read on the boards that weight training is important to retain and build new muscle.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I started,I did walks with a groupofwomen from my neighborhood,when that became to easy i addes more distance.simple easy stuff at first then add as it gets easier.:bigsmile:
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My advise ( as a non-expert) would be do what is managable, that you wont give up on, and if you feel like doing a little more then go for it, but don't over do it just yet.

If you can manage 20 easily one day put the level up the next and see how you go with that- just listen to your body. If your diet is right it will all come down slowly, and slowly is better because your making this a lifestyle, not a quick fix.
  • padbh
    padbh Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi, you might try a group activety, I have done water aerobics in the past, easy on the joints! I am doing Jazzercise now, and ladies are so supportive and will give you moves for low impact. In some area the YMCA has classes, and in some areas there are a varity of othe types of yoga and kick boxing. For me, once I pay for it, I feel I have to get my moneys worth! Good luck!
  • prencesskl
    Options
    You can do weight training at anytime, just use light weights. 2 or 3 lbs are good to start with. You should try to do the bike 4x a week, and work up more time little by little. Don't go over crazy because you will wear yourself out, or get hurt and quit. If youare looking to do something different, try jillian michael's 30 day shred, you can get it for around $10, and it's 20 min a day, it's hard at first, but within 3 or 4 days you will see it getting easier quickly.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good start. Just increase your time and intensity with the walking/bike once it becomes too easy.

I walked for 9 months, and lost 30 lbs before I felt that consistant running wouln't blow out a knee. As your fitness improves you'll feel like doing more stuff. Cross those bridges when you get there.

I would start "strength training" now. Remember, you don't have to go heavy or intense. Just start where you are comfortable.
    If you can afford a gym, talk to a personal trainer to get started. If not, your own body provides all the weight you need. Push-ups, sit-ups, squats are good place to start.
  • niralid
    Options
    When I decided to start exercising, the first thing I did was join a fitness boot camp to kick start me into shape..afterwards, I started running/walking in my neighborhood until I could run 3+ miles. Finally, I joined a gym and got a trainer for a few sessions to teach me how to effectively strength train.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It souds like you're on the right track. Rember nothing comes easy and exercise alone won't do it either. It all comes back to diet.
    I don't mean going on a diet either I mean changing it for ever. Start slow, cut out some man made carbs, even if it one meal a day. You'll see a difference.

good luck
  • Chelenhip
    Options
    Get some light dumbbells (2-3 pounds) and pump your arms with them while you are walking. That would be a good transition into the weight training. Maybe you could do some weight training instread of the recumbant bike a couple of days a week. Does your gym have classes?
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Walking is the foundation of everything; one of the best things that you can do for yourself (whether you are overweight or very fit). Walk as much as you can right now and when you get stronger, increase the distance/speed. The bike sounds good too; anything that is fairly low impact.

Once you start feeling strong enough, don't be scared to pick up weights. A lot of people, women especially, make the mistake of leaving strength training out, but it's very important.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It souds like you're on the right track. Rember nothing comes easy and exercise alone won't do it either. It all comes back to diet.
    I don't mean going on a diet either I mean changing it for ever. Start slow, cut out some man made carbs, even if it one meal a day. You'll see a difference.

good luck

What he said, too. It starts in the kitchen.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I like the Richard Simmons dvds. The moves are easy to do and they get you moving. You can also do some of the routines with light dumbells. I would say start with 1-2 pound dumbells and move up from there. The important thing to remember is to gradually increase your intensity with any exercise you do. You have to challenge yourself a little to keep getting results.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Biking is a great low impact cardio and walking should be pretty safe and injury free if you increase slowly and do what is right for you body. ;) You can do it. I'd plan for 6 days a week of cardio for now. Later when its more of a habit you can add the strength work. Too much at once can backfire and cause you to be overwhelmed. I'd work up to doing the walking and the bike for a solid 30 minutes(15 min each) at least 6 days a week. I'm so happy I get to get a exercise bike from my friend(hopefully this weekend) and have another option for cardio. I may do it at least 15 minutes on my 30 Day Shred days and can use it to keep things mixed up with my Walk Away the Pounds dvd.

When I have a gym membership my favorite routine is to do 15 minutes walking on the treadmill and then switch to the bike. It helps to break into a longer endurance.
  • RunLikeBelle
    RunLikeBelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow so many responses thank you everyone!

I have a gym at my apartment with cardio machines and weight machines. I also have dumbells at home.

I'm not able to do group exercise at this time because of my schedule with work full time, 2 small kids, and school full time.

I know how to use the machines for strength training - I used to be pretty athletic when I was in my 20s. I'm just not sure how to balance the cardio with strength training and how many days to do each.
  • Chelenhip
    Options
    What I used to do was warm up with 10-15 minutes of cardio, then do weight training and then finish with another session of cardio (usually 20 minutes). If that doesnt work for you then alternate days and do 3 days of each.

I understand the inability to do alot with a full schedule. Good luck Mama.

Michele